View Single Post
30 Oct 2009  
jimbo45

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
You can also use Windows backup to create an image then restore that to the new drive. Windows is different from Acronis in that it will restore exactly what you had before as far as partition sizes, but you can use the Disk Management to change that later.

Yes, the Windows Backup Imaging is flawless. I save the image of any/all partitions to aprimary Recovery Partition on each my machines, then backup to external drive in case of HDD failure.

It takes about 15 minutes to flawlessly reimage the HDD or another. I see no difference with Acronis except the Windows version is built in and will run on a schedule or back up your image and selected files in the background while computer is idle. Just leave your external plugged in.

Hi there
Acronis will allow you to re-size the image on restore and you can specify the size as well. - so if you want to restore to 70 GB instead of 40GB you just specify that in the restore.
Note you get the extra space by deleting an existing partition or using "unpartitioned" space. You can do this in the Acronis program without needing another product. (Ensure if you delete another partition to create more space you've backed up any data in it first).

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec