Windows 7 Help Forums - View Single Post - Vista Ult x64 SP2 or Win7 Ult x64 RC to Win7 Pro x64
View Single Post
30 Oct 2009  
Bmidbar

Vista Ultimate 64-bit, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Harold Wong's blog & statements about in-place upgrades

Yeah, while researching this issue I reviewed a number of links and bookmarked about six, and Harold's comments were amongst the numerous articles I read and reviewed.

All I'll say is this "different strokes for different folks." I've been an IT guy for over twenty-five years and have been doing the Windows thing since 1990. Knew full well what I might potentially be getting myself into by taking this path, but it was my decision and my risk.

So far the only things I've had to do was a repair on my VMWare Workstation 6.5.3 for VMNet and grab IntelliPoint 7.0 64-bit. All development software (NetBeans, RAD, Eclipse, VStudio 2005 and 2008, SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition, etc) is working flawlessly and a couple of problems I had under Win7 RC (POWER_STATE_DRIVER_FAILURE on Verizon [Qualcomm] mini-PCI EVDO card at shutdown/restart, Verizon Access Manager not able to recognize or power up EVDO card) have gone away much to my pleasant surprise; thought I'd have to wait 'til December for a version of VZAccess Manager that would work correctly.

Cheers.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Sorry I only saw this now that you've done it. Hope it works out. I would have urged you to Upgrade the Vista, because of this post that's been up for months on Technet from a Win7 Team member's blog:

Harold Wong's Blog Site : Can I do an In-Place upgrade from Windows 7 Release Candidate To Release Code??

Would be interesting to hear back from you on how it works out, as others want to do this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec