31 Oct 2009  
H2SO4

Win7x64

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thisislaw View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DC187 View Post
in the username box use <computername>\<username>

You might be able to use just a backslash but not 100% sure
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ultraplanet View Post
Nope the backslash doesn't work but you had me going I had to try. <computername>\<username> is the way to go. If you don't know the computer name right off there is a link at the bottom that says... "How do I log on to another domain?" If you click that link it will show you the local computer name as the example.
I am well aware about how to login but I do not wish to enter the computer name is what I am saying.
In XP there was a drop down menu saying what you wish to login to.
I.E. Login to "Name-PC" or "CFS" in a drop down menu.
I am wondering if there is anything similar or any way of obtaining this.
"CFS"? I'm guessing that's meant to be either CIFS (SMB) or the actual name of the domain they use at your workplace?

Either way, it doesn't really matter.

The drop down list of names to which you're referring is/was generated based on what are called "trust relationships" between the domain to which your workstation's machine account belongs and other domains. In other words, what you see in the list is domains trusted by your workstation's DCs.

It tends to confuse the heck out of people.

There are two ways to specify the domain context when there's no domain list available:

1) The domain\username syntax which was already mentioned.
2) The "UPN" form which looks like a mail address: User@Domain.com

The authentication plumbing consisting of your machine plus its DCs will then attempt to hunt down a DC from the domain specified in order to verify the account credentials. Again, it only works if the domain is trusted, either transitively or in the NT4 sense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec