Thread: FLAC Metadata?
View Single Post
01 Nov 2009  

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dw96 View Post
Can FLAC hold metadata? As in Album Art, Artist, Album, Compositor etc. ? I just ripped all my Linkin Park CD-s and they sound beautiful in FLAC, much better than MP3, but I can't seem to add any metadata to my files... Is there any plugin/add-on for Media Player to be able to read/write the metadata to flac-s? Please help, I'm really annoyed... I'm open to any solution...

Hi there.

Absolutely - you can tag flac files.

I agree about FLAC sound quality.

On decent equipment a LOSSLESS codec will always sound better than a lossy compressed one - especially MP3 at low bit rates -- full of nasty artifacts etc -- probably OK for users on a noisy train etc with those tiny white bud earphones but using a decent set of cans like BOSE noise cancelling phones or playing into high quality audio the difference will be immediate.

Try Ripping a standard Audio CD with WINAMP into FLAC to see how it's done - you'll even get a playlist.

Then you should be able to see how to add the tags to your own tracks.

Set up Winamp CD ripping as I've shown in the attached screenshot.
Also set the encoder to FLAC.

(Winamp uses Gracenote DB for standard CD's so you get all your tracks labelled automatically).

I use my own folders and libraries so I don't add anything to Winamp's media library. Keeps it simpler also if you want to use other media players.

Attached Thumbnails
FLAC Metadata?-winamp.png   FLAC Metadata?-encoder.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec