View Single Post
05 Nov 2009  

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ijsman77 View Post
No, it is a DVB-T receiver, with it I can watch TV on my PC. The receiver itself would work on x64, but I also have a CI (common interface) module that decrypts my PAYtv channels. That module only works on 32bit systems, hence I run it in a VM.

Hi there

One of the limitations of a VM is that programs that react with the real or Physical hardware directly won't normally work properly.

Don't forget the Virtual Machine has its OWN set of hardware in the Virtual Bios.

The latest release of vmware workstation has upgraded the "virtual Video driver" so that some 3d rendering and a few games can be played but it is still a bit of a way off before full video / dvd playing and authoring can be supported.

Virtual PC is still behind both vmware and vbox in this area so I wouldn't even THINK about trying to get a TV card to work with that software.

TV cards and DVD playing are unlikely to work in a virtual machine for some time yet I'm afraid. If you can get one working in a VM I'll be REALLY interested.

Note audio has no problems since the typical virtual bios emulates a sound blaster type of card and that's not a problem with current audio codecs.
Aaudio and video streaming using a VM also poses no problems since you are essentially just sending DATA -- the hardware device at the receiver end will decode it itself.

Tot Ziens van een echter ijsmannetje !!!!.

My System SpecsSystem Spec