View Single Post
14 Nov 2009  
goyta

Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 x64

We are talking about different things (and digressing)

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
I'm not too sure about your processor...but Windows already automatically throttles the processor down using the built in power management features of the processor. By opening Power Options and getting into the advance options you can set the minimum level. AMD also has it software for that called Cool'n'Quiet. AMD Cool'n'Quiet Technology
Logicearth, we are talking about different things. Yes, AMD has Cool'n'Quiet, and both Vista and Windows 7 have native drivers for it. But what Cool'n'Quiet does is throttle down the processor at times of low demand. There won't be any noticeable difference in your user experience if you're just quietly typing a text in Word and the processor runs at 1 GHz instead of 3 GHz. So, the CnQ driver throttles the processor down to that speed, in order to save power, make it cooler and, depending on your hardware, allow the CPU cooling fan to run slower and less noisy (hence the name).

If the current tasks demand more processing power and speed, however, the driver will automatically respond by speeding up the CPU, either stepwise or straight to full power. Such cycles can be alternated in milliseconds, both up and down.

By contrast, what NextSensor does is constantly monitor the CPU temperature, and if necessary override CnQ and force the processor to momentarily slow down at times of high demand, whenever it gets too hot and perilously approaches its maximum operating temperature, above which it may be physically and permanently damaged.

I was unlucky to get a processor that tends to overheat (the model is not to blame, individual units of any processor model may behave like that, for largely imponderable reasons and minute manufacturing differences). It may easily reach AMD's specified limit for an Athlon 64 (about 71°C/160°F) when running CPU-intensive tasks: performing a video conversion, encrypting a large file, testing a compressed archive, or even with occasional bursts of higher activity from Windows' own tasks. And living in a subtropical area where air conditioning is mostly unaffordable to an average Joe like me doesn't help, so I'm always fighting CPU overheating here.

Anyway, we're digressing from the main subject and problem, which is how to auto-start a program that needs administrative privileges when logging on to a standard account, without getting an annoying UAC prompt every time. (Remember that NextSensor is just the most critical of such applications in my case, but there would be a separate UAC prompt for each of them.)

Thanks a lot, however, for the effort, including the screen capture. That didn't go unnoticed! :-)
My System SpecsSystem Spec