View Single Post
18 Nov 2009  
maxihod

:Laptop: Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit :Desktop: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Audio Line Input Stopping Sleep:

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by liquidzoo View Post
As an update to this:

I ran powercrfg -events and powercfg -requests last night to try to determine where the hang up was, and apparently something is using my audio driver, preventing it from going to sleep properly.

I can put it to sleep via the start menu with no problems, it just won't do it automatically for some reason.

My next step is going to be to either find an updated driver that hopefully won't do this, or simply uninstall the driver and let Windows use its own driver. I've searched the net, and this seems to be a common issue with the SigmaTel HDAudio drivers.
I had the same problem with my machine not going to sleep all of a sudden (After having worked fine before) I ran the powercfg -ENERGY, and it came up with a couple of things:-
Quote:
System Availability Requests:System Required Request
The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
Requesting Driver InstanceHDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0885&SUBSYS_1458A102&REV_1001\4&174ede36&0&0001Requesting Driver DeviceHigh Definition Audio Device
and the following on processor usage
Quote:
CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is moderate
The average processor utilization during the trace was moderate. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%)2.28

CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name audiodg.exe
PID 880
Average Utilization (%)1.08

Module Average Module Utilization (%)
\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\AudioEng.dll 0.81\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe 0.09
\Device\HarddiskVolume\Windows\System32\msvcrt.dll 0.06
Now when I checked at the back of the machine the one thing I had plugged in a week or so ago was a line input to record from a tape deck. Unplugged that, and now the machine goes to sleep on its own fine. Simply setting the mixer to mute for that channel wasn't enough.

Not sure whether this is related to an audio driver update as well which was applied, but that's what my issue turned out to be. Must be just enough mains hum being picked up on the line input to cause some processing which then disables the sleep of the machine.

Anyhow well worth checking.
My System SpecsSystem Spec