View Single Post
07 Dec 2009  
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Kegger can you enlighten us on what would make a RAID config worthwhile for Windows 7 since we are getting many problems with 7 install to RAID. Supposedly Intel suggests RAID config for AHCI (in the Wiki). How would that work?

Dude yesterday with SATA had IDE enabled but found AHCI choice in BIOS, then turned out AHCI driver was on mobo CD which he loaded into installer and fixed stall.

Should we even bother trying for AHCI if it is not in BIOS menu? Another way to enable it on mobo?
Nope. I don't see the need for a RAID configuration for the average home user. If someone is looking for a speed increase, I believe the average SATA II drive is on par with a RAID array, with a lot less hassle. That's my opinion, and I'm sure others will weigh in with an opposing view.

The actual Intel documents I've read didn't mention the need for RAID - AHCI just enables advanced SATA features like hot plug and NCQ. And, the only way AHCI will appear in the BIOS is if the motherboard supports AHCI. So, if a user has the ability to use AHCI, and has a drive that will utilize NCQ, then I would recommend enabling SATA and AHCI, but stay away from RAID.
My System SpecsSystem Spec