View Single Post
15 Jan 2010   #

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JackStockton View Post
Didn't work for me.

I even tried copying and editing the .vmcx file. When I try to run it or check the settings, I get an error that I don't have premission or the file is missing, then it disappears.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rfeague View Post
I've been through the steps a few times with care, and I see the same strange behavior JackStockton mentioned where the .vmcx disappears as soon as I click on it. I will post a solution if I figure it out, but I just wanted to reinforce that JackStockton is not imagining things, and as near as I can tell, not failing to follow the directions with care.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Welcome to the Se7en Forums! rfeague

One thing I found fast from the time this guide was first posted here and once the final XP Mode was available was that copying no longer worked as it had been seen with the XP Mode RC version which was the only version available at the time.

The final version runs like an installer with a preconfigured setup mode for each fresh install there unlike the RC. The guide here worked then for the RC version however but now needs to be updated.

When the RC version was used on a second 7 RC installation I would simply create a new shortcut once the files/folders were copied over once a fresh install of the Virtual PC was seen first to have it work then.

First you now install the VPC, restart the system, and then install the XP Mode later to watch the setup take place.
I really do not know why some of you guys are experiencing problems. To re-test the validity of this tutorial, I checked everything once more this morning.

I followed tutorial literally and it works. In the attached screenshot from this morning you can see two independent XP Modes open at the same time, both having different software installed, both connected to network.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kaw View Post
It's worth noting that if you go from W7VPC Beta to RC, the instructs listed are not quite enough (if you're using dynamic disks). You also need to copy the parent disk to the exact same location on the new computer. In my case, this simply meant copying over the "C:\Program Files\Virtual Windows XP" folder.
I have Virtual PC and XP Mode RC, and this method works as it did with beta. The base vhd-file in C:\Program Files\Virtual Windows XP should not be copied, it is as the name says the base to every copy of the XP Mode.

Virtual XP Machine - Copy-xp-mode-copy.png

My System SpecsSystem Spec