View Single Post
23 Feb 2010  
Dzomlija

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rattwater View Post
I have a western digital USB hard drive model WD1200U017-001 that is now redundant from my wife's Mac Computer, where she had been using it on her "time machine" backup. I would now like to use it as an additional backup drive on my PC. However, when I plugged it in, my computer did not respond. The little blue light came on on the hard drive, but no response at all for my computer, and the drive was not visible when I clicked "start/computer". I am running windows 7 ultimate. My research on this hard drive indicates that it should work on a PC, so it is probably just a formatting problem. But how do I get it recognised in order to reformat it? Any ideas?
Robert
You have two options.

1) Find a Windows 7 driver that allows Windows to read/write Mac formatted hard disks

OR

2) If you have no data on there that you want to keep, you can re-partition and re-format the drive:
  1. Click the Start Orb
  2. Click "Control Panel"
  3. Click "System and Security"
  4. Click "Administrative Tools"
  5. Double-click "Computer Management" (You may need to respond to UAC)
  6. In the left pane, click "Disk Management"
  7. In the center pane, in the bottom half, locate your drive. All the option you need to remove the existing volumes and partitions will be available in the right-click menu of you drive's graphical representation. Since I don't have a Mac drive here, I'm not entirely sure what the process from here on would be. But you'd generally need to first delete all existing partitions, then create new ones and format them. THIS WILL WIPE OUT ALL EXISTING DATA - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
My System SpecsSystem Spec