Thread: NumLock
View Single Post
27 Feb 2010  
CarlTR6

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

Jonathan, you are the man! Thank you, Sir. I don't know if I have solved the problem, but this reply in the thread is spot on.

Quote:
Yesterday a computer technician spent THREE HOURS with me in attempt to fix the NUM LOCK problem. He called three more technicians. Finally we were told that in order to make Windows 7 more 'User Friendly' Microsoft had ELIMINATED the startup code which in prior versions checked the BIOS in order to set the NUM LOCK key for the initial settiing. What Windows 7 does is to query the KEYBOARD for the initial NUM LOCK status! If the keyboard says that the NUM LOCK setting is ON then it adjusts the registry accordingly and vice-versa. The MORONIC MICROSOFT EXECUTIVE who came up with this STUPID AND EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING DESIGN DECISION should have a thesis written about him called: How to Become an Executive by being an Idiot! (I believe the saying 'Birds of a Feather Flock Together' would summarize this thesis.)

Those of you who think that I am the one who needs a new brain can very easily check my theory. Here is how:
1) Note the NUM LOCK status of your keyboard -- let's assume it is 'on' 2) Shut down your computer 3) Press the NUM LOCK key ONCE 3) Boot Windows 7 -- the NUM LOCK status, based upon our earlier assumption, will now be 'off' 4) WITHOUT PRESSING THE 'NUM LOCK' KEY shut down Windows 7 5) Press the NUM LOCK key ONCE 6) Boot Windows 7 -- the NUM LOCK status, based upon our earlier assumption, will now be 'on'

I certainly hope that the supervisor -- assuming that Mr. Steve Balmer did not come up with this -- of the executive who is responsible for this brings a mule to work, has the executive bend over while facing an open window, and tells the a_s to kick the guy bent out of the window in the a_s! After all, Windows has something called 'Hibernation' mode.
I tried this method and it works. Now to see if it is permanent.
My System SpecsSystem Spec