View Single Post
06 May 2010  
Adrian

"Works, but has issues"
by tharrington on February 26, 2008

Pros: MPEG-1, MPEG-2 &Xvid supported. Works with some video subscription services (Vongo)
Cons: No Divx support. Xvid issues.
Summary: Pros:
Very easy to set up. My configuration: HP Pavillion a6030n, 2GB RAM, 2 x 360GB HDD, Vista Home Premium, Linksys 802.11N wireless card added. Linksys WRT300N Wireless Router. Vongo subscription. Netflix subscription w/ WatchNow. MyNetFlix Media Center plugin. AOA DVD Ripper. Using just the 802.11N connections, I get about 270mbs throughput. Some of the issues I have are due to bandwidth. Plays WMV9 videos from Vongo with the occasional freeze and screen corruption.
Cons:
Almost every time I start the box and get into Media Center, I press the scroll button 3 times, then it locks up. This usually clears with a reboot of the box. Troubleshooting guide says this can be due to ports blocked at the firewall, but installation process opens these ports. Will NOT play Divx movies, period. Xvid movies play for about an hour, then stop like they are at the end of the movie. Movies play on the PC just fine, and there are no problems with WMV9 formatted movies.
Other Thoughts:
Vongo is 100% functional on the MCE, as is TVTonic. The third party MyNetFlix plugin works on the PC, but will freeze on the MCE when using the WatchNow function. MyNetFlix is not supported on MCE, so not the fault of the box.
My System SpecsSystem Spec