View Single Post
12 Jun 2010  
TVeblen

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium SP1

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bonto View Post
I turned on my desktop on today and received the message "operating system not found".
You do not say whether you were ever able to install an OS on the old or replacement drive. I will have to assume no.

On the hardware side of the equation, you normally get the "operating system not found" message on black screen during the boot process if
  1. there is no operating system installed on the hard drive
  2. no partition is marked as Primary/System
  3. no hard drive is connected to the computer
You can test #3 by simply unplugging the drive and booting. Is that the same message you are getting?

In your BIOS you should check to see if your drive is recognized and configured correctly.
If an OS is installed, then under the "Configure SATA as" settings you need to be sure that if you installed W7 under ACHI (or RAID) that SATA is configured that way.

If you are getting the message because of #3 above then the BIOS cannot "see" the drive. That can happen if
  • There is no power to the drive/drive does not turn on
  • SATA cable not connected properly at the drive or on the board
  • Bad SATA cable
  • Defective SATA socket (try another socket)
  • Defective motherboard - SATA controller
  • Power Supply issues
You want to eliminate hardware issues before you start working on the OS side. But if you can't get as far as starting the OS boot process then it is hard to see how this can be strictly an OS issue.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bonto View Post
My computer does not recognize my hard drive due to the partition being corrupted.
How did you determine this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec