View Single Post
20 Jun 2010  
dannyboy2005

Windows 7 Pro X64

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Fumz View Post
If you keep pushing 1.5 volts to the core, you sacrifice the core... plain and simple.

What you're going after at 4.4GHz isn't performance, it's more bragging rights. Which is all good and fine, except if you have to pump that much juice in order to do it; then, well, it's not a good overclock. A good overclock would be to achieve that on minimal volts.

Perhaps you got a chip from one of the bad batches of 930's? If so, those are the breaks, but, look at it honestly, the chip is still amazing. As far as real world performance goes, I'd wager that you're not really "sacrificing" much at all.

What you must consider is diminished returns. How many fps do you get at a safe OC of 4GHz vs fps @ 4.4GHz with chip frying amounts of voltage? My guess is that between 4 and 4.4GHz, the fps gains are minimal at best, if you get any at all, as you're already pushing the graphics card as fast as it can go even below 4GHz.

... but, it's your chip, your call.

**edit**

Just noticed you have an 8800. You're killing your cpu for fps gains you cannot achieve. Your video card is a bottleneck your cpu cannot overcome.
Hi

I fully understand your point about what's another 200Mhz .2Ghz going to make? Well the simple answer is, Cos i can, i want to blag.

I didn't know that 1.5v was damaging the chip. You will probably lol but i thought if it reached like 2.0v then it would start damaging it LOL (I'm a noob to all this). I have looked around on the web and found that 1.5 is suicidal but ideally, 1.3 will be fine but lower the better.

As far as i'm aware, there's only 3 bad batches: 3001A117, 3001A135 and 195*****. I have batch #3951A811, I have a D0 chip which is basically 'Cherry picked', but i am unaware if the batches above were D0, i can only guess the C0 as there are no other descriptions about it.

I have not done any frame rate testing yet, after all, i'm not using it to 'benchmark' i just want it to be a rather quick computer.

I haven't o/c the graphics card yet (I don't know where you thought that from) but looking to get a 2gb HD4870 one. I have asked before it will be a bottle neck, some people say no, its a sales blag and others say yes. I scored 6.9 on my WEI with my graphics that i am using earlier on yesterday. We shell see when i start gaming.

I have now dropped down to 1.3V at 4.2Ghz and it all seems to be fine. I really wish i could boost it more to 'brag' but well see.

Thanks for your advice gentleman.
My System SpecsSystem Spec