View Single Post
29 Jun 2010  
RaviR

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
No, that's not a bad idea.

Off the top of my head, it sounds like you're running the installer from the secondary hard drive and pointing the installation to that very same drive. For example, Windows is C:, your DVD drive is probably D:, and the second hard drive is E: (obviously, it maybe different, but try to follow ). You have the executable on E:. You double-click the .exe file and during installation, it sounds as if you're setting the files to install to E:\... You may not be, but that's how it sounds. If that is the case, you will definitely have problems.

The best way to get around that is to create an empty folder in C:\Program Files. Go to Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management. Right click anywhere in the area representing your secondary hard drive. Select Change Drive Letter and Paths... Push the Remove button -- then Okay or Accept. Then, right-click on the same drive again, select Change Drive Letter and Paths again, this time selecting Add. Check the button Mount in the following empty NTFS folder then push Browse. Find the newly created folder and select it. Then push OK.

What you have done is to mount your secondary hard drive as a folder within C:\Program Files. Windows will not see it as a hard drive anymore and thus, there won't be a drive letter for that drive either. There shouldn't be any problems with program installations as technically, the files will be in the C:\Program Files directory. But, in actuality, the files are installed on the secondary hard drive.

I currently have my system set up in such a manner. On C:\ I have the operating system and small (less than 50MB) programs. On D:\, I have my user profiles. The same hard drive has a partition that is mounted in C:\Program Files(x86) for any program larger than 50MB.

Its exactly like u said drive letters an all lol. So even tho the exe files are on the E drive it wont automatically install to C:\Program files?
My System SpecsSystem Spec