Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker
How was Win7 activated?
Did you reinstall with just the OS DVD, or Recovery?
If you clean reinstalled did you keep the Dell Utility partition?
Was already activated when I installed it from the Dell supplied OS DVD (not a recovery disc either). I nuked the Dell utility partition because I could create my Linux partition with it still on there. The machine is brand new btw.
Has the problem been there since the reinstall or did it possibly begin after your changed out a driver given by the installer or optional Windows Updates?
Since the reinstall I've noticed it.
Run a virus scan with Malwarebytes and MSE, which is a better free AV solution than Avira.
It's clean as a whistle.
Couldn't find any errors at all that seem related (one of my USB external disks gives controller errors, but I'm not sure that's related), so I opened up Perfmon to see what it's actually doing. I also reinstalled some Intel drivers, and it seems to have made it slightly better. The activity isn't just slight pulses any more, it's basically constant now. Windows seems to be indexing constantly now, whereas it was just trying to do it intermittently before. I wonder whether that had something to do with the driver reinstall or just coincidence.
I personally can't see anything out of the ordinary going on.....