How to Associate a File Type or Protocol Default Program in Window 7
This will show you how to associate a file extension type or protocol to open with a program you select by default in Windows 7.
These Default Programs association settings are a per user setting and not applied to all users.
The program that you select as the default for the file extension type or protocol must support opening that file extension or protocol for the program to be able to open it. For example, a .TXT will open with Notepad or Wordpad, but it will not open with MSPaint.
Restore Default File Associations Using a Download
1. Go to the link below to select a file extension to download a .reg file for to merge and restore it's default associations for.
Restore Default Windows 7 File Extension Type Associations
Set File Associations Through Default Programs
1. Open the Control Panel (Icons view), and double click on the Default Programs icon.
2. Click on the Associate a file type or protocol with a program link. (See screenshot below)
3. Under the left Name column, select a file extension type or protocol that you want to change what program will open it by default, then click on the Change Program button. (See screenshots below)
NOTE: These are the default associations in Windows 7 for these Extensions and Protocols.
4. To Select a Listed Program in Open With
NOTE: This is for when the program you want to use to open the file extension type or protocol by default with is listed the Open with window.
A) Click on the arrow next to the right of Other Programs to show additional programs. (See screenshot below)5. To Browse for a Program
B) Go to step 6.
NOTE: This is for when the program you want to use to open the file extension type or protocol by default with is not listed the Open with window.
A) Click on the Browse button. (See screenshot above)6. Select the program that you want to use as the default for the file type or protocol you selected in step 3, and click on OK. (See screenshot below step 4A)
B) Navigate to the program's exe file, select it, and click on the Open button. (See screenshot below)
7. Repeat the steps above to change any other file extension type or protocol default program association.
8. When finished, click on the Close button. (See screenshots below step 3)
9. Close the Default Programs window. (See screenshot below step 2)