View Single Post
16 Aug 2010  
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CreepinJesus View Post
I'm getting increasingly annoyed by my hard drive (Seagate ST9500420AS). I'm sure you all know what a hard drive sounds like, but sometimes mine clicks away really loudly.

There is no difference in performance - just noise. It's like the normal clicky seeking sounds have been amplified 10x! Usually I can just put the computer into sleep and wake it back up again to fix it.

Does anyone know what could be causing it?
I agree 100% with Rich.

Your hard drive is going through its death throes. IMMEDIATELY backup the hard drive to an external USB drive. If you don't have an external USB, then run, don't walk to your nearest electronics/computer store and buy one.

Post a pic of the output of disk management so that we can best advise you as to what and how to back it up.

Use either the snipping tool or MS Paint to make a snapshot of disk management output.

Here is more info:
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

To use the snipping tool, just type SNIP in the Search Box and hit Enter

To use Disk Management,
type DISKMGMT.MSC in the Search box and hit Enter.
Maximize the resulting display.

Be sure to make a System Repair Disc:

Besides needing an external USB disk for backup purposes, of course, you are going to need to buy yourself a new hard disk.

The external will not need to be any where as large as your hard drive, but make that snippet of the output of disk managment so we can best advise you.

Once that hard disk fails, then you will only be able to recover data from the hard disk at very great expense if at all.

Please take this advise seriously.
My System SpecsSystem Spec