View Single Post
18 Aug 2010  
Zeptinune

Windows 7

Well UBuntu pretty much has no way to recover files.. I have an SD card that has uBuntu installed on it, its got a 25MB/s r/w speed and that is what I use to boot into my computer at the moment (from the SD card) because I don't want to damage the HDD.

As far as I can see, and I think I'm pretty well educated about computers (just not when it comes to Linux) that:

1. I probably have no chance of recovering anything, but I'm going to try.
2. Booting from a USB is probably the only way of doing this, save getting a caddy and picking my laptop apart which will void its warrenty...

I have 4gb of ram. I think that's plenty to run an OS and a little 3.5Mb program. I just don't think that Recuva will work with WineHQ and I am not sure I even want to try with it because WineHQ is really only experimental.

I'm more or less limited to a windows operating system and trying to make it boot from a USB. I've read one way of doing it which involves editing a windows xp .iso so it doesn't scrub the usb drivers after rebooting etc. But it seems like it would take longer than actually recovering my files and I don't know if it will even work.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=22379
As you can see.

So is there another way I can somehow recover my files?
My System SpecsSystem Spec