View Single Post
23 Aug 2010  

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium

I had been running my 1366X768 resolution Bravia through VGA from my laptop and several weeks before I bought my HP HPE 270f desktop which has an ATI Radeon 5770 video card with HDMI I bought a Belkin Pure AV HDMI cable and looked forward to using it with my new desktop, but I ran into the exact same problem smurof7neves did because the standard for HDMI output is either 1280x720 or 1920x1080 and the 1280x720 through HDMI was very much overscanned and the boundaries of the picture were way outside of the boundaries of the screen.

The Radeon 5770 video card has an overscan/underscan option (4% underscan got the HDMI picture back down to 1366x768) as well as another feature that allows you to drag the desktop to the correct size, but both of these digital compensation methods produced such awful distortions in both pictures and text that I went back to VGA where the resolution is perfect right down to the pixel and the Bravia once again looks very close to how the Mac Pro and Apple Cinema 30 display in the main computer room looks.

My System SpecsSystem Spec