View Single Post
31 Aug 2010  
Corrine

Windows 7 & Windows Vista Ultimate

Hi, 2inch. Welcome to Seven Forums.

Let's start with Exterminate-It. Take a look at the reports at WOT: exterminate-it.com | WOT Reputation Scorecard | WOT Web of Trust. That isn't a program I would want on my computer.

Why would you use XP TCPIP Repair on a Windows 7 64-bit machine?

As to the registry cleaner, it is my opinion that those tools do more damage than good. Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable. No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix. In addition,
Windows 7 is much more efficient at managing the registry than previous Windows versions. There are no gains to be had from using a registry cleaner and the risk is great. Of interest, see the following articles:

Are registry cleaners necessary?
Back up the registry

Your system specs show you have a 64-bit OS. HijackThis is renown for not being able to properly identify services and show files missing when they, in fact, are not. It does not work effectively on a 64-bit OS.

Although O^E's Killbox is still a viable program, it only works on Windows 7 if you know the proper technique.

That said, having no idea what the initial problem was with the computer, my best advice is to use a back-up to restore your system to its previous state. If no back-up, then use System Restore to a point prior to when the problem started. Windows 7 has a much more robust System Restore than Windows XP and Windows Vista.
My System SpecsSystem Spec