Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Restore Windows 7 Bootloader


28 Aug 2010   #1

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Restore Windows 7 Bootloader

I am running a dual boot machine with Ubuntu 10.04 & Win 7 Pro x64. I somehow lost the Windows 7 bootloader and get the Vista style loader when I start Windows 7. How can I restore the Windows 7 bootloader with its elegant, high resolution animation?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Aug 2010   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dj3Dub View Post
I am running a dual boot machine with Ubuntu 10.04 & Win 7 Pro x64. I somehow lost the Windows 7 bootloader and get the Vista style loader when I start Windows 7. How can I restore the Windows 7 bootloader with its elegant, high resolution animation?

Bootloader? Do you mean the startup screen with the animated swirling colors?

Where did you get your win 7 image? did you download it or purchase it directly??

Was this a clean install or upgrade


Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #3

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dj3Dub View Post
I am running a dual boot machine with Ubuntu 10.04 & Win 7 Pro x64. I somehow lost the Windows 7 bootloader and get the Vista style loader when I start Windows 7. How can I restore the Windows 7 bootloader with its elegant, high resolution animation?

Bootloader? Do you mean the startup screen with the animated swirling colors?

Where did you get your win 7 image? did you download it or purchase it directly??

Was this a clean install or upgrade


Ken
Yes it was a clean install but I must have done something because I got the GRUB2 screen and when I tried to boot into Windows 7 I got the "insert DVD, select repair" to boot back in to Windows 7.

Yes I do mean startup screen. I've been having MBR probs all weekend so far. My apologies.

I downloaded my Win 7 image from MSDNAA

How do I get said Win 7 startup screen back?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


28 Aug 2010   #4

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I found this:
bcdboot %WinDir% /l en-US and this: bcdedit /set {current} locale en-US but when I run those commands all I get is "failure when attempting to copy boot files" "the boot configuration store could not be opened" "The system cannot find the file specified"

How do I get the Win 7 startup screen back? (without having to reinstall) Thank you in advance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Update.
I think I figured it out. Since T is just my storage drive it a) shouldn't be active and b)shouldn't be primary but logical instead.

Comments/suggestions?


Attached Thumbnails
Restore Windows 7 Bootloader-screenshot.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Aug 2010   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

There is no reason why it shouldn't be an active Primary.

Open an elevated command prompt and type:

bcdboot c:\windows /s t:

press enter.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2010   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Several months ago I discovered that my Grub 2 was being occasionally overwritten by the Windows 7 MBR. I tried a number of things, but the one that works for me was to re-install Win 7 (from a previously stored image) so as to get the correct Win 7 MBR. Then I installed Ubuntu 10.04 which, of course gave me Grub 2 that I do not want.

Then on yet another partition, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 which gave me the older Grub Legacy which does not conflict with the Win 7 MBR. In Grub Legacy I am able to select my default OS or boot to any installed OS.

When I boot now, I get Grub Legacy with all of those options.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Aug 2010   #8

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by oldtraveler View Post
Several months ago I discovered that my Grub 2 was being occasionally overwritten by the Windows 7 MBR. I tried a number of things, but the one that works for me was to re-install Win 7 (from a previously stored image) so as to get the correct Win 7 MBR. Then I installed Ubuntu 10.04 which, of course gave me Grub 2 that I do not want.

Then on yet another partition, I installed Ubuntu 9.04 which gave me the older Grub Legacy which does not conflict with the Win 7 MBR. In Grub Legacy I am able to select my default OS or boot to any installed OS.

When I boot now, I get Grub Legacy with all of those options.
This was not the case this time. When I did my clean install on Fri. GRUB just didn't wanna let go when I installed Win 7. I was expecting Win 7 MBR to overwrite GRUB2 as usual.I guess thats where all these MBR headaches came from this weekend.

Thank you to everyone for your support. Problem solved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Restore Windows 7 Bootloader




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Restore Windows 7 Bootloader
Thread Forum
Wrong windows name in bootloader Installation & Setup
How do i restore windows 7 bootloader Installation & Setup
How to Keep Windows 8 Graphical Bootloader Installation & Setup
Solved How do I delete Fedora 17 and repair Windows 7 Bootloader without DVD Installation & Setup
Bootloader gone, Windows stays. Installation & Setup
Windows 7 blank screen after bootloader General Discussion
Installing XP while keeping Windows 7's bootloader Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33