Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Concerns With Windows Backup Tool

08 Oct 2010   #11

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
 
 

Thank you again for your time.

Option 3 seems the best idea.
My home network consists of 3 desktop's, 5 laptops, and a media player.
This is all served by 2 NAS drives.

I sort out the music, pictures, video and data folders on my C drive, then use Sync Toy to NAS 1, which is what the other pc's share.
I also Sync Toy to NAS 2, which I keep as a pure backup of my data.

So, in reality all I need Windows backup to do will be the system image.
Its just to save me having to install from scratch in the event of a drive failure or other such event.

I can see what your saying, its a comprehensive backup, but maybe more that what I actually need !

Thank you for taking the time to explain it so well.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Oct 2010   #12
Microsoft MVP

 

Karl, I would rep you again if I could.

The other method Karl mentions is worth considering even across a network:

Place your User files on another drive which acts as a data vault separate from OS/Programs partition: User Folders - Change Default Location

This allows the OS/Programs partition image to be more compact and less urgent to back up than the latest data set easily backed up separately from its own drive.

In case Windows 7 becomes irreparable, it can be reimaged to it's partition in minutes while the data is all in place and waiting.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2010   #13

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Karl, I would rep you again if I could.

The other method Karl mentions is worth considering even across a network:

Place your User files on another drive which acts as a data vault separate from OS/Programs partition: User Folders - Change Default Location

This allows the OS/Programs partition image to be more compact and less urgent to back up than the latest data set easily backed up separately from its own drive.

In case Windows 7 becomes irreparable, it can be reimaged to it's partition in minutes while the data is all in place and waiting.
Thats how I used to work on my previous XP system.
With the new system I started with just the one drive / partition, so got stuck into that.
When I added the second 1TB drive, I split it into two 500 GIG partitions to do exactly that, with one half for data and one half for backup.
But, the backup failed reporting not enough disc space !

I guess i could delete the partition again on the second drive, split in half, copy data over 1st, then run the backup now I understand whats going on.

Or, I need to add a partition to my C drive, without loosing data or OS in the process, which makes me a little jumpy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Oct 2010   #14

Windows 7 Pro/32 Academic. Build 7600
 
 

Windows 7 has what is called backup "periods" The first time you run a system settings and files backup, it will take a while because it's doing a "complete" backup. From then on, whenever you run backup, it will be incremental, meaning, it will only back up what has changed since the last backup. However, (Big caveat, here) Every once in a while, Windows 7 will do another "complete" backup. There's really no rhyme or reason to when this will happen but it's important to understand that each complete backup is called a backup "period". These backup periods are separate from backup "images" in that you can select to keep only the most recent backup image, not the most recent backup period. Your disk is getting full because of periods, not images.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2010   #15

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Actually, the periods are defined. I've forgotten the algorithm, simply because it so easy to leave it to Win 7. Everything gets done correctly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2010   #16

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Andy 01 View Post
Or, I need to add a partition to my C drive, without loosing data or OS in the process, which makes me a little jumpy
In the long haul, repartitioning will be the ideal approach.

For your Win 7 files, your MS Office installation, everything in your program files and program data, you can't ever use 100 GB. My C is 50 GB with 23.5 GB free. And I've got several other MS packages loaded besides a pile of appps.

Wrapped up--you will need a very ultimate max of 100 GB. Here I'm allowing for all kinds of weird monstrous programs being installed.

If later you become interested in this option, let us know. The procedure is easy, using the right tools and the right knowledge. And, as a side line, Greg Rocker is a pro at this kind of operation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2010   #17
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mborner View Post
Windows 7 has what is called backup "periods" The first time you run a system settings and files backup, it will take a while because it's doing a "complete" backup. From then on, whenever you run backup, it will be incremental, meaning, it will only back up what has changed since the last backup. However, (Big caveat, here) Every once in a while, Windows 7 will do another "complete" backup. There's really no rhyme or reason to when this will happen but it's important to understand that each complete backup is called a backup "period". These backup periods are separate from backup "images" in that you can select to keep only the most recent backup image, not the most recent backup period. Your disk is getting full because of periods, not images.
Yes as most people will see for themselves multiple backups (zips not vhd images) will eventually get made. Clearly the algorithm MS uses isn't a random number generator but it could be more transparent (off hand I don't know what it is) . Of course it's easy with "backup and restore" to go in and delete old backup data sets.
Well before you get to the size of the OPs personal files/folders you need in my opinion a different backup strategy (including images of course). I manage my photo image library separately. It may be that large data sets could be stored on their own partition and imaged regularly. I believe some imaging software will allow differential imaging. Also, images can be mounted and files extracted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2010   #18

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Concerns With Windows Backup Tool




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Concerns With Windows Backup Tool
Thread Forum
Desktop PC Concerns, windows hang + crt alt del General Discussion
when i try to use the backup tool i get the system32 file Backup and Restore
Restore from full image just one drive.. Possible? Windows Backup tool Backup and Restore
Windows backup tool Backup and Restore
Windows Live Privacy Concerns News
Google ditches Windows on security concerns News
Windows 7 upgrade concerns Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33