Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Question about Restoring from System Image?


22 Jan 2011   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 
Question about Restoring from System Image?

Hi i want to know i had created a System Image of my Windows in which i included only Drive C: and System Reserved by default and i have'nt included any other drives at that time coz all other 4 drives were empty at that time. Now i want to know if i will restore my PC from the Image i created before .... will it erase all the data on other 4 drives as well other than C: ? I'm asking coz i tried to restore my system today and it gives a pop up warning something like "All the data on drives will be replaced with the data in the system image" before starting the process so i cancled it coz i have tons of data on other drives which i have'nt backuped yet will it delete data on my other Drives as well? sorry if it's a noob question

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jan 2011   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boogieboy View Post
Hi i want to know i had created a System Image of my Windows in which i included only Drive C: and System Reserved by default and i have'nt included any other drives at that time coz all other 4 drives were empty at that time. Now i want to know if i will restore my PC from the Image i created before .... will it erase all the data on other 4 drives as well other than C: ? I'm asking coz i tried to restore my system today and it gives a pop up warning something like "All the data on drives will be replaced with the data in the system image" before starting the process so i cancled it coz i have tons of data on other drives which i have'nt backuped yet will it delete data on my other Drives as well? sorry if it's a noob question
You didn't say what software you used to make the System Image, but if you backedup only C:, then when you restore the image, it will only affect C:. What software did you use to make the Image?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I used Windows 7 Backup & Restore
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Jan 2011   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boogieboy View Post
I used Windows 7 Backup & Restore
It will only affect C: if you have backed C:. It won't affect the other drives. A lot of guys on here, myself included use free Macrium to backup. Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download It does a good job and I have heard others say that they have run across problems with the Windows Backup. It is easy to use and you can backup each drive independently.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boogieboy View Post
I used Windows 7 Backup & Restore
It will only affect C: if you have backed C:. It won't affect the other drives. A lot of guys on here, myself included use free Macrium to backup. Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download It does a good job and I have heard others say that they have run across problems with the Windows Backup. It is easy to use and you can backup each drive independently.
Thanks bigmck for the Help... i will try Macrium instead
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boogieboy View Post
Thanks bigmck for the Help... i will try Macrium instead
One thing to note when you are installing it. It gives you an option of Linux or something else. Check the Linux option even though you don't use Linux.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

There is one other thing that is strange that you need to watch out for, but it is no big deal. == I will give you the example using my setup. -- My C: is named OS / Programs and my D: is named Documents. I backup C: to F: OS Backups and I backup D: to G: Doc Backups. == When you go to restore a drive, the letters are not the same. The way Macrium loads, it shuffles the drive letters. You have to refer to the names you have assigned, not the letters. In my case I would just make sure I am restoring Doc Backups to Documents regardless of what the drive letters said. Just thought I would warn you about that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #8
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

boogie boy,
It is a good question.
When you reimage with windows imaging if you select the reformat/partition checkbox it is likely that your data partitions would be wiped. Given the option do not select it if reimaging to the same disk. See the tutorial
System Image Recovery

Macrium Reflect is a solid product and I use it as well. Boot CDs generally won't know what letters windows & you gave to partitions so they will be generally be different. You just need to make the associations yourself. If you use MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) I'd lean towards Macrium!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #9
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
If you use MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) I'd lean towards Macrium!
mjf, that is interesting. What is the reason?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2011   #10
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
If you use MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) I'd lean towards Macrium!
mjf, that is interesting. What is the reason?
For reasons I outline here
http://www.sevenforums.com/performan...p-restore.html
My recent decision to go with MSE may have been a mistake.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Question about Restoring from System Image?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Question about Restoring from System Image?
Thread Forum
Manually restoring a system image Backup and Restore
Restoring System Image Without Reformatting Backup and Restore
restoring system image to a new SSD Backup and Restore
Restoring an XP image to my new Windows 7 system Installation & Setup
restoring from system image file Backup and Restore
Question about Windows 7 Image Restoring Performance & Maintenance
Restoring system image from HD2 Raid0 to new HD1 Backup and Restore

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33