Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: remove backup files after an update


29 Jan 2011   #1
drugo

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 
remove backup files after an update

Hi
i bought windows 7 ultimate 32bit because my girlfriend has a different mother language

well i have always update , so i download and update every hotfixes


can i get rid of the backups after the updates?

i find that link-> Windows 7 SP1 Disk Cleanup Tool

that suggests ->
Code:
dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded
now that article talks about remove the hotfixes after the sp1

i did not update sp1 , i will do soon

but now i have lots lots of backups due the many paches/hotfixes installed
can i get rid of them ?
about the restore point , i deleted them


thanks
cheers


My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2011   #2
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

If you update regularly, you do not need the SP1 update or the SP1 disk cleanup tool. When SP1 comes out, you can find it in your windows update and it will automatically check your system and update accordingly. If you want to delete backups, go into Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore. In the upper left hand corner, click Turn off Schedule. Then under Backup, click Manage Space. In the pop-up that appears, under System Image click Change Settings. Click the bottom option that says to keep only 1 system image.

Try this: How to Delete System Protection Restore Points in Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #3
drugo

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
If you update regularly, you do not need the SP1 update or the SP1 disk cleanup tool. When SP1 comes out, you can find it in your windows update and it will automatically check your system and update accordingly. If you want to delete backups, go into Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore. In the upper left hand corner, click Turn off Schedule. Then under Backup, click Manage Space. In the pop-up that appears, under System Image click Change Settings. Click the bottom option that says to keep only 1 system image.
thanks but this did not delete the backup after the updates
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #4
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

What do you mean by backups? If you mean restore points, you can delete them but I think you already have. The other aspect are the updates installer files that are stored in C:\windows\software distribution\download folder, once the updates are installed these can be deleted to reclaim hard disk space.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #5
DustSailor

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
This will
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #6
Zardoc

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by drugo View Post
Hi
i bought windows 7 ultimate 32bit because my girlfriend has a different mother language

well i have always update , so i download and update every hotfixes


can i get rid of the backups after the updates?

i find that link-> Windows 7 SP1 Disk Cleanup Tool

that suggests ->
Code:
dism /online /cleanup-image /spsuperseded
i did not update sp1 , i will do soon
now that article talks about remove the hotfixes after the sp1

but now i have lots lots of backups due the many paches/hotfixes installed
can i get rid of them ?
about the restore point , i deleted them


thanks
cheers
After SP1 is installed, you won't need to.

You run clean-up tool when you are sure that SP1 works well.



As you can see, after SP1, almost no updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #7
drugo

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
What do you mean by backups? If you mean restore points, you can delete them but I think you already have. The other aspect are the updates installer files that are stored in C:\windows\software distribution\download folder, once the updates are installed these can be deleted to reclaim hard disk space.
i don't talk about restore points
but i have the update set to auto , so my w7 download every hotfixes and makes a backup of the old files
in xp there is a utility like Removes Hotfix Remove Hotfix Backup Files
or ccleaner

under w7 i can't get rid of them

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DustSailor View Post
This will
i did
i delete every restore points
but i'm talking about backups after an windows 7 update
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #8
drugo

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote:
After SP1 is installed, you won't need to.

You run clean-up tool when you are sure that SP1 works well.



As you can see, after SP1, almost no updates.
yes i see you have only 6 updates , i have so many
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2011   #9
drugo

windows 7 ultimate 64bit
 
 
is safe?

is safe delete this folder c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\->


http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/47...backup-removal
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Oct 2012   #10
dbaker57

Windows 7 64bit
 
 
FYI Windows Updates != Service Packs

Sorry to add to a long idle thread.

I just saw a misnomer in this thread. There are changes that are in SP1 that do not come as part of any windows update. In my case changes to the RDC client from Windows 7 will not talk to Linux xrdp whereas the RDC client in Windows 7 SP1 will.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 remove backup files after an update




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: remove backup files after an update
Thread Forum
Solved Remove canceled update from review your update history list. Windows Updates & Activation
Backup software that splits large files for incremental backup Software
Can't remove Service Pack Backup Files with Disk Cleanup or DISM Windows Updates & Activation
Solved Can't remove update files Windows Updates & Activation
Remove Update BackUp In W7 Backup and Restore
Backup files fail to backup files in Program Files Backup and Restore

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App