Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: List Restore Points

02 Feb 2011   #1
gogreen

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
 
 
List Restore Points

Where in Windows 7 can I find a list of restore points? When I go into System Restore from the control panel, the only restore point listed is the one I created this morning. When I check "Show more restore points," nothing happens. Where are the restore points, and how do I selectively delete them--or, at least, view them? Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Feb 2011   #2
PooMan UK

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #3
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

If you have CCleaner installed, you can click on Tools in the left panel, then click on System Restore. That'll allow you to view as well as delete existing SR points.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Feb 2011   #4
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 10 build 10159
 
 

Hello Gogreen,

Where you are at in System Protection should list all available restore points. See screenshot under step 7 below.
System Restore
However, you can use the free program CCleaner as in the tutorial below to view and delete restore points.

System Protection Restore Points - Delete

Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #5
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

The free program CCleaner can list and delete individual restore points.

CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download


Edit: Looks like I've been beaten to it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #6
gogreen

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
 
 

Thanks, all. CCleaner also lists only the restore point I created this morning. Where'd the others go??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #7
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
Thanks, all. CCleaner also lists only the restore point I created this morning. Where'd the others go??
I can think of a couple of possibilities. One, you may have used the inbuilt disk cleanup utility- that has an option to delete all but the most recent SR point to reclaim disk space. Or a similar 3rd party cleaning tool.

Two, the space reserved for SR may be too small so all the earlier points got deleted to make way for the last one. You can adjust this space in SR settings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #8
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
Thanks, all. CCleaner also lists only the restore point I created this morning. Where'd the others go??
I can think of a couple of possibilities. One, you may have used the inbuilt disk cleanup utility- that has an option to delete all but the most recent SR point to reclaim disk space. Or a similar 3rd party cleaning tool.

Two, the space reserved for SR may be too small so all the earlier points got deleted to make way for the last one. You can adjust this space in SR settings.
I concur Defraggler removes all but the last if used too agressivly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #9
gogreen

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
 
 

Thanks, Bill2. I probably inadvertently deleted them.

Then how does one determine the appropriate size for a restore point? Is there a formula for this?

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2011   #10
gogreen

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gogreen View Post
Thanks, all. CCleaner also lists only the restore point I created this morning. Where'd the others go??
I can think of a couple of possibilities. One, you may have used the inbuilt disk cleanup utility- that has an option to delete all but the most recent SR point to reclaim disk space. Or a similar 3rd party cleaning tool.

Two, the space reserved for SR may be too small so all the earlier points got deleted to make way for the last one. You can adjust this space in SR settings.
I concur Defraggler removes all but the last if used too agressivly.
Figures. I used Defraggler just this morning... Wel,, I'll be OK as long as the last restore point doesn't get deleted...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 List Restore Points




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
System Restore isn't creating (or saving?) restore points properly
For some reason my System Restore function isn't automatically creating (or isn't showing) System Restore points as it should be doing for "major" system events (e.g., isn't automatically creating restore points before/after Windows Updates and software/driver updates). I'm not sure if it isn't...
Backup and Restore
System Restore Error, Unable to Create Restore Points
Hello everyone, not sure why but I get an error every time I open the System Restore. I rarely have to use a restore point as I regularly maintain my computer and check for viruses and malware, but I would like to have the option just in case. When I open System Properties, and click the System...
Backup and Restore
System restore doesn't show any restore points - but they exist
After Tuesday's Windows update I couldn't boot into Windows and loaded my system repair disk planning to roll back to a restore point from the day before. But, the restore wizard couldn't find any restore points. I know my system does it daily and I did a manual one a week prior just to see if it...
Backup and Restore
Allocated System Restore space holds far fewer restore points now
I have 8gb of space allocated to System Restore, all monitoring my C partition only. This space is always at least 85-90% used according to the System Protection screen. In the past I have had at least 15 restore points to choose from after ticking "show more restore points." But today I went to...
Backup and Restore
How to access view to all system restore points list
Title should tell to. I just simply cannot, via the usual methods from Google searches, tell how to completely and fully obtain a full list of all system restore points. Thanks for the help in advance guys, Diligent
Backup and Restore
Can I Pause/Turn off System Restore WITHOUT losing restore points?
I work with a large software suite. The installer for this suite is really just a collection of many stand-alone installers. If SR is on when I run the installation, it takes a very long time. Additionally, since this is a collection of other installers, SR is somewhat useless to use as a...
Backup and Restore

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App