Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System Restore works only intermittently


18 Feb 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 
System Restore works only intermittently

System Restore is creating restore points correctly, but many of them cannot be used. For many of the restore points, the following error message appears when I attempt a restore: "System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed". The error message goes on to state that the failure is probably due to an anti-virus program running.

I am running Avira Premium Security Suite, with Windows 7 x64.

I don't believe that Avira is part of the problem: some restore points restore without any problem, whilst others will not restore even if I disable the anti-virus component.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Feb 2011   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I am not sure that this is exactly the same problem, but it's worth checking through:
See the answer - 2nd box down...

Windows 7 deletes all system restore points on reboot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

One trick of the virus creators is to make sure that you do not have restore points to remove the virus
Run a full anti virus scan
Download and run malwarebytes, full scan.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Feb 2011   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

It is advisable to turn off your AV anti tamper protection before a system restore. I have had this message before when running Norton 360. Turning off anti tamper protection cured it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Many thanks for the responses so far.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Irene View Post
I am not sure that this is exactly the same problem, but it's worth checking through:
See the answer - 2nd box down...

Windows 7 deletes all system restore points on reboot
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
One trick of the virus creators is to make sure that you do not have restore points to remove the virus
Run a full anti virus scan
Download and run malwarebytes, full scan.
I think that both these relate to disappearing restore points, whereas in my case the restore points are all still here - they simply do not work.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
It is advisable to turn off your AV anti tamper protection before a system restore. I have had this message before when running Norton 360. Turning off anti tamper protection cured it.
I've tried this, but no luck. But thank you anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I wonder if it could possibly be to do with the amount of disk space allocated to System restore?

Some information about requirements here:

How much disk space does System Restore require?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Don't follow my advice as I'm just one person, but I have never had high success rates with System Restore...not with XP, Vista, or Windows 7. I always have much better luck solving the issue, rather than rolling back to a point in time right before the issue happened. I can always come up with alternatives to the solutions. On all of my systems, I always disable System Restore because I have no faith in it. What you are seeing is one of the issues/failures I would always encounter.

Some people swear by System Restore, and some people have no faith in it. You'll find people debating it and arguing it. I wouldn't ever tell anyone else to disable it, but if I personally have no faith in it, I see no reason to enable it or waste space on it. I don't mean this to be a solution for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

There is no right and wrong when it come to subjective opinion, but mine is that SR is one of the best features offered by Windows Seven. It has saved me once and has also saved many OP with problems that were given SR as the solution.
My advice keep the restore. The price of some hard drive space is small in comparison to the benefit received.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Irene View Post
I wonder if it could possibly be to do with the amount of disk space allocated to System restore?

Some information about requirements here:

How much disk space does System Restore require?
Again, this could be a solution if the restore points were simply not there, but in my case they are present, but most are not usable.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DeaconFrost View Post
Some people swear by System Restore, and some people have no faith in it. You'll find people debating it and arguing it. I wouldn't ever tell anyone else to disable it, but if I personally have no faith in it, I see no reason to enable it or waste space on it. I don't mean this to be a solution for you.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
There is no right and wrong when it come to subjective opinion, but mine is that SR is one of the best features offered by Windows Seven. It has saved me once and has also saved many OP with problems that were given SR as the solution.
My advice keep the restore. The price of some hard drive space is small in comparison to the benefit received.
I agree with you both!
I don't feel that I can rely on System Restore absolutely - it might not work at all (as is the case at present), or it might not restore properly - and so I reserve it for emergency use. But whilst I have the spare disk space, I would like to keep it as a last resort safety net - provided that I can get it to work at all . . . .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Feb 2011   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

That's why I'm cautious to explain it is my personal belief, and I will not ever suggest to others to disable it. That has to be something you yourself would decide. No one is ever going to convince me to re-enable it, as it as proved to be utterly useless for me, and for friends and relatives I support, it seems to just set them up to relive the issue again.

But, unlike what I see on a lot of forums, I can separate out my personal opinion from a fact. I wouldn't ever debate the System Restore topic either, because for every person like me who doesn't use it, someone will have a success story of how it helped. It should be left completely up to the individual to decide.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 System Restore works only intermittently




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: System Restore works only intermittently
Thread Forum
Remote Desktop Connection works intermittently... Network & Sharing
System Restore - Restore system settings and previous versions of file Backup and Restore
HDD Enclosure intermittently works Hardware & Devices
Operating system not found intermittently General Discussion
Restore System Image - Works Great Backup and Restore
System Restore Manager: A complete Windows System Restore Management Backup and Restore
System restore works only manually Backup and Restore

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33