Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Why is W7 Saying Not Enough Backup Space?


04 Mar 2011   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Why is W7 Saying Not Enough Backup Space?

Hi,

I have now tried two ways to do a Windows Backup. My desktop hard drive is only 250GB and I know I have 755GB fee on my 1TB external hard drive, because it told me (both in the System Image setup and on the drive properties; y'know with the pie diagram).

So I know I have over three times as much space as I need. But it won't let me do a Backup nor a System Image onto the external hard drive, and the reason given is "not enough free space"!

Anyone know why this might be?

Thanks a lot


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Mar 2011   #2

 
 

Hi,

You may have to defragment the external HDD, if it's too fragmented it might not allow a backup the same as when shrinking a partition.

Also, what format is the HDD? NTSC or FAT32?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2011   #3
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


04 Mar 2011   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Check to be sure that your "system reserved" partition is not the one that is less then 50MB or whatever it is complaining about. I had that happen to me once. My C drive was fine, my external was fine, but the hidden System Reserved partition was causing the issue.

The strange part was why the system reserved was mostly full. A few reboots later and it had magically cleared up space on it's own and I was fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2011   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Orbital Shark View Post
Hi,

You may have to defragment the external HDD, if it's too fragmented it might not allow a backup the same as when shrinking a partition.

Also, what format is the HDD? NTSC or FAT32?
It is NTFS, but I just got a worrying error box; saying I will have to format the external HDD if I want to use it.

But it has everything from my old PC that I want to keep! (less than 200GB that's why I bought a 1TB ext hard drive). I'm assuming formatting will get rid of everything on it!

Yes, I will defrag it, but I will use my old PC, or the new one might format it.

I always used Syncback on the old PC, and was currently thinking of the paid version Syncback SE. I will look at your recommendations too, thanks

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1
Check to be sure that your "system reserved" partition is not the one that is less then 50MB or whatever it is complaining about. I had that happen to me once. My C drive was fine, my external was fine, but the hidden System Reserved partition was causing the issue.
Thanks, how do I find out whether it is System Reserved causing the problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Mar 2011   #6
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

What is the precise error message? If it has a reference to "shadow..." then

The system reserved partition needs shadow storage space. You can check this in Disk management (right click Computer>Manage>Disk Management) the system reserved (100MB) should be around 70% free. If you've got 50% free or more then this isn't your problem.

But you should also check the VSS space on the storage volume.
From an elevated command prompt
>vssadmin list shadowstorage

will show you the available shadow storage space on your backup volume.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2011   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
What is the precise error message? If it has a reference to "shadow..." then

The system reserved partition needs shadow storage space. You can check this in Disk management (right click Computer>Manage>Disk Management) the system reserved (100MB) should be around 70% free. If you've got 50% free or more then this isn't your problem.

But you should also check the VSS space on the storage volume.
From an elevated command prompt
>vssadmin list shadowstorage

will show you the available shadow storage space on your backup volume.
Thanks, this may be a dumb question, but are you referring to the external HDD being more than 50%? (The C drive is only 46% I think). Because I'm afraid to even connect the external HDD now because of the problem mentioned above:
...error box; saying I will have to format the external HDD if I want to use it.

But it has everything from my old PC that I want to keep! (less than 200GB that's why I bought a 1TB ext hard drive). I'm assuming formatting will get rid of everything on it!


When I attempted the System Image, I got something mentioning the "Shadow..." I'll dig out the error screen shot I took.



Sorry but the last sentence in the box above doesn't even make sense to me. I must be thick, but I don't get it. I'm a lesdyxic () visual learner, so diagrams are better than words (and numbers) for me.

But like I said, none of that makes any difference if the £100 external HDD I bought is gonna be formatted and I lose the last backup from my old PC!

That is my more pressing concern now, as this is a problem no matter what tool I use for backup, so anyone have any suggestions, other than buy another ext. HDD?

Thanks a lot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2011   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I'm about 99% sure it's the system reserved partition. The error message says for volumes under 500MB, you need at least 50MB free. Well, the System reserved partition is 100MB...and if you got less than 50MB of free space on it, you will get the error message that you see above.

Right click my computer, Manage, go to Disk Management. Right click on the System Reserved partition at the front. Choose change drive letter and path. Assign it a drive, like X. Then open My Computer and check the Free space. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that you have less than 50MB free.

Here is an article explaining this exact problem;
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...4-efe2afa59b7c

In my case, the partition just magically cleaned itself up within a few hours and I was able to run backups. What caused it to drop for a period of time under 50MB is still a mystery to me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2011   #9

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
I'm about 99% sure it's the system reserved partition. The error message says for volumes under 500MB, you need at least 50MB free. Well, the System reserved partition is 100MB...and if you got less than 50MB of free space on it, you will get the error message that you see above.

Right click my computer, Manage, go to Disk Management. Right click on the System Reserved partition at the front. Choose change drive letter and path. Assign it a drive, like X. Then open My Computer and check the Free space. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that you have less than 50MB free.

Here is an article explaining this exact problem;
Windows 7 Enterprise Backup Image Error 0x80780119 - Microsoft Answers

In my case, the partition just magically cleaned itself up within a few hours and I was able to run backups. What caused it to drop for a period of time under 50MB is still a mystery to me.
And if one doesn't have a System Reserved Partition and gets this error, what would it be then?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2011   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
And if one doesn't have a System Reserved Partition and gets this error, what would it be then?
Perhaps a hidden recovery partition created by the manufacturer that is nearly full that they are unaware of. Again, you can check it just like I showed with the "System Reserved" partition.

I ran into this same issue when I first started using Windows 7. That's why I am always piping up saying, "hey check your System Reserved partition". It bit me once and confused me for awhile...until I really read through that error. I was positive my C and D drive had at least 1GB free and so did my external drive. So, I started looking elsewhere.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Why is W7 Saying Not Enough Backup Space?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Why is W7 Saying Not Enough Backup Space?
Thread Forum
backup space Backup and Restore
Does allocated space for sys restore affect allocated space for backup Backup and Restore
Incomplete backup, not enough space. Backup and Restore
Backup Space Problems Backup and Restore
Backup takes 800GB? Manage Windows Backup Disk Space Backup and Restore
Backup - how much space does it really need? Backup and Restore
W7 Backup using too much space? Backup and Restore

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33