Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Acronis Home Image

19 Jul 2009   #1
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 
Acronis Home Image

I have ordered the Windows 7 upgrade disc from Amazon and look forward to the upgrade.

My question, would it be advisable to buy Acronis Home Image, to have a back up of my documents and Vista 64 bit, OS in the event of a problem when I do a clean install? Without the back up, in the event of a problem, with the clean install, are there any built in safeguards so all will not be lost?

Will I be able to use the Acronis, that I purchase now for Vista, be supported with Windows 7?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Jul 2009   #2
Jonmor68

Vista Home Premium & Windows 7
 
 

My Acronis True Image Home is working fine in W7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jul 2009   #3
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 
back ups

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
I have ordered the Windows 7 upgrade disc from Amazon and look forward to the upgrade.

My question, would it be advisable to buy Acronis Home Image, to have a back up of my documents and Vista 64 bit, OS in the event of a problem when I do a clean install? Without the back up, in the event of a problem, with the clean install, are there any built in safeguards so all will not be lost?

Will I be able to use the Acronis, that I purchase now for Vista, be supported with Windows 7?
Rich

Acronis works fine, as does Norton ghost. I personally would rather use a 3rd party app instead of win 7 built in.

Hope this helps

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Jul 2009   #4
Frostbite

 

Using True Image Home 2009 here on Windows 7 64bit, no problems. There is no official support for Windows 7 at this time but should be in time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2009   #5
Muad Dib

XP Pro & Vista Home Premium (x86); Windows Ultimate 7600 x64 Retail
 
 

I have been using Acronis True Image (ATI) Home v11 and have done NUMEROUS image backups/restores of my XP Pro 32 bit , Vista HP 32 bit and Win7 7232 x64 bit. (I tend to do destructive testing.... NOT advised if you do not have 2 or more HDDs with image backups).

It works fine.

I do not recommend using ATI for resizing partitions. I had problems with it and wound up restoring my system images on one HDD (Using ATI!) from my backups on another HDD. I think ATI has problems with certain mult-boot configurations with or without hidden parttions.

I also don't recommend using Windows Disk Manager to re-size or shrink partitions. It could not do it either, though it did not corrupt the MBR. It seems the MFT gets in the way on a "shrink".

I use GParted to do my partition re-sizing/moving. Once that was done I used Windows disk mangement for creating/formating and nameing, etc.

GParted -- Welcome

P.S. If you only have a single HDD with 1 partition I suggest you use Gparted to create a second partition and do not use the ATI "Secure Zone" option in which ATI creates a second partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2009   #6
Robert Cartman

Windows 7 RTM x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Muad Dib View Post
I have been using Acronis True Image (ATI) Home v11 and have done NUMEROUS image backups/restores of my XP Pro 32 bit , Vista HP 32 bit and Win7 7232 x64 bit. (I tend to do destructive testing.... NOT advised if you do not have 2 or more HDDs with image backups).

It works fine.

I do not recommend using ATI for resizing partitions. I had problems with it and wound up restoring my system images on one HDD (Using ATI!) from my backups on another HDD. I think ATI has problems with certain mult-boot configurations with or without hidden parttions.

I also don't recommend using Windows Disk Manager to re-size or shrink partitions. It could not do it either, though it did not corrupt the MBR. It seems the MFT gets in the way on a "shrink".

I use GParted to do my partition re-sizing/moving. Once that was done I used Windows disk mangement for creating/formating and nameing, etc.

GParted -- Welcome

P.S. If you only have a single HDD with 1 partition I suggest you use Gparted to create a second partition and do not use the ATI "Secure Zone" option in which ATI creates a second partition.
Thanks! GParted helped me too! Why I did not hear about it before?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2009   #7
Mark Phelps

Win7 Pro 32-bit, Win8 Pro 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Robert Cartman View Post
Thanks! GParted helped me too! Why I did not hear about it before?
Because GParted has a nasty history of corrupting Vista OS partitions as a side-effect of resizing; thus, the general advice on the Ubuntu forums is NOT to use GParted unless you have a Vista DVD to use to run Startup Repair.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2009   #8
go away

window 7
 
 

thinks that u think can create problem, i think no problem will create
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2009   #9
noyb

XP MCE .... XP Pro 64 .... W7 U x64
 
 

I'm having problems recovering from a W7 Acronis Image.
Acronis is not supporting W7 at this time.
It's also about time for Acronis to come out with a new version.

So .. I'm going to wait till they catch up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2009   #10
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Hi,

I find the Paragon and Macrium products work great on 7 x64.

Paragon do a free express version - but it is extremely basic.

Macrium do a free version that is excellent - the most efficient and fastest in the industry.

You can get it from here :

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download


NOTE: With all imaging apps - if you create/restore an o/s partition while booted into 7 - you may get permission problems with the restored o/s. You may not even be able to get to the Desktop.

Create/restore the images from within another o/s. Or use the boot disc to restore the image, as opposed to restoring it from the 7gui.

I have no idea if MS are aware of this major problem - let's hope they fixed it in the RTM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Acronis Home Image




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Acronis true Image Home 2010
I put the recovery disk into my windows 7 64 bit using Acronis true Image Home 2010 and it boots up giving me two choice one is "Acronis true Image Home Full Version" and the second is return to Windows so I click on the first one but the screen remain blank My other computer launch but I have one...
Backup and Restore
Acronis True Image Home
I Image my C drive on the 2nd partition of the same drive. I then copied the image to an external drive. If I lose my drive that my C drive is on and then replace it with a new drive can I Image from my external drive to the new Hard drive and it will be the same size and make? The reason for this...
Backup and Restore
Acronis True Image Home 2010
I have a WD HD with backup software but I was just wondering if Acronis True Image Home 2010 Backup might be better. Usually the software that comes with a product is not as good as a 3rd party that specialize in it?
Backup and Restore
Acronis® True Image Home 2010
I have XP, Vista, and Windows 7 and this will back them all up. Windows 7 backup is crap because it wants to back up the entire hard drive not counting other things it won't do. I'm a retired Computer Pro but I cannot see getting anything except the home version. I got Vista Ultimate and that was a...
Backup and Restore
Acronis® True Image Home 2009
Can this program backup the C drive for windows 7 (64 bit)? I called them and they said when Windows 7 comes out they will have the update for the backup. Someone here said that they are using this program to backup Windows 7 now. Does anyone know about this?
Backup and Restore
Acronis True Image Home 11 - is it OK with 7
Does anyone have any experience of using Acronis True Image Home 11 with Seven :geek: I use it with XP to make my backup images. Am I safe to use with Seven. Thanks,
Backup and Restore

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App