|05 Nov 2011||#1|
Does WIN7 keep a log/report of what caused a system restore?
hello, my name is chris jones.
Simply put. I turned on my PC. Windows 7 said 'Windows failed to Load'. I remember something about a system file was corrupted and WIN7 was attempting to fix it. After about 10 mins it started up.
I believe that the pc restored itself to a previous state.
I would like to find out what caused the need to restore the machine in the first place. So, Does Windows 7 keep a log/report that holds any information that i can look at?
------ THE COMPLEX VERSION ------
- I installed 'Republic - The Revolution'.
- Auto System restore point Made (labeled 'Republic - The Revolution').
FRIDAY, 11:00 AM. PC Turned on as normal.
- I installed 'Black'n'White and Creature Isle', 'Turok' and 'Universe at War'.
- I updated Diablo 2 from V1.07 to v1.12.
I played Diablo 2 for about 14 Hours Straight. At about 3:00 AM i went to bed leaving the PC on.
SATURDAY, 11:00 AM. I sat down at my computer and installed 'Brothers in Arms - Earned in Blood'. Once it had finished installing, a prompt said that 'StarForce Protection requires a restart to finalize the installation'.
I went ahead with the restart. It restarted correctly up until the windows 7 screens pops up. Windows 7 informed me that 'the computer failed to start'. The computer then spent about 10 mins fixing the problem. Once it started up i noticed a few things.
- Desktop Icons reverted to where they were on Thursday.
- A small program called Diablo 2 Hero Editor executable file had vanished. It wasn't installed on Thursday.
- Diablo 2 install itself. On Thursday i had v1.07 therefore all saves were incompatible.
I updated it on Friday to v1.12.
- Republic - The Revolution Installed files had vanished.
Obviously this seems like a system issue that has been resolved by restoring the system to a previous state.
What i have done so far to figure out what caused this.
- I uninstalled and Re-installed Diablo 2 and the hero editor. They both work now.
- I ran Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 (Fully Updated). After 3-5 Hours it found no virus'.
Thank you for your time and patience.
|My System Specs|
|07 Nov 2011||#2|
starforce is mainly incompatible with most hardware, and windows 7, I don't recommend to install that software to anyone.
My syster had horse/pony game with starforce protection. after I installed it I immediately throw away the disc into the trash can. Wasted money.
But ontopic, yes, win7 does keep track of crashes, search for .dmp files and check you application error report logs, should be easy to find.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Does WIN7 keep a log/report of what caused a system restore?|
|All file associations hosed for Win7 account- system restore?||General Discussion|
|Windows update has caused error0x80042318 in system restore/protection||Windows Updates & Activation|
|BSOD after a system restore due to a corrupted user profile on win7||BSOD Help and Support|
|Win7 HP 64b system restore doesn't work||Backup and Restore|
|System restore win7 replaced hd||General Discussion|
|System Restart - possibly caused by Windows Backup and Restore?||Backup and Restore|
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.