|05 Nov 2011||#1|
| || |
Does WIN7 keep a log/report of what caused a system restore?
hello, my name is chris jones.
Simply put. I turned on my PC. Windows 7 said 'Windows failed to Load'. I remember something about a system file was corrupted and Windows 7 was attempting to fix it. After about 10 mins it started up.
I believe that the pc restored itself to a previous state.
I would like to find out what caused the need to restore the machine in the first place. So, Does Windows 7 keep a log/report that holds any information that i can look at?
------ THE COMPLEX VERSION ------
- I installed 'Republic - The Revolution'.
- Auto System restore point Made (labeled 'Republic - The Revolution').
FRIDAY, 11:00 AM. PC Turned on as normal.
- I installed 'Black'n'White and Creature Isle', 'Turok' and 'Universe at War'.
- I updated Diablo 2 from V1.07 to v1.12.
I played Diablo 2 for about 14 Hours Straight. At about 3:00 AM i went to bed leaving the PC on.
SATURDAY, 11:00 AM. I sat down at my computer and installed 'Brothers in Arms - Earned in Blood'. Once it had finished installing, a prompt said that 'StarForce Protection requires a restart to finalize the installation'.
I went ahead with the restart. It restarted correctly up until the windows 7 screens pops up. Windows 7 informed me that 'the computer failed to start'. The computer then spent about 10 mins fixing the problem. Once it started up i noticed a few things.
- Desktop Icons reverted to where they were on Thursday.
- A small program called Diablo 2 Hero Editor executable file had vanished. It wasn't installed on Thursday.
- Diablo 2 install itself. On Thursday i had v1.07 therefore all saves were incompatible.
I updated it on Friday to v1.12.
- Republic - The Revolution Installed files had vanished.
Obviously this seems like a system issue that has been resolved by restoring the system to a previous state.
What i have done so far to figure out what caused this.
- I uninstalled and Re-installed Diablo 2 and the hero editor. They both work now.
- I ran Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 (Fully Updated). After 3-5 Hours it found no virus'.
Thank you for your time and patience.
|My System Specs|
|07 Nov 2011||#2|
| || |
starforce is mainly incompatible with most hardware, and windows 7, I don't recommend to install that software to anyone.
My syster had horse/pony game with starforce protection. after I installed it I immediately throw away the disc into the trash can. Wasted money.
But ontopic, yes, Windows 7 does keep track of crashes, search for .dmp files and check you application error report logs, should be easy to find.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Does WIN7 keep a log/report of what caused a system restore?|
|System restore failed, can't boot or reinstall Win7||Backup and Restore|
|All file associations hosed for Win7 account- system restore?||General Discussion|
|Windows update has caused error0x80042318 in system restore/protection||Windows Updates & Activation|
|BSOD after a system restore due to a corrupted user profile on win7||BSOD Help and Support|
|Win7 HP 64b system restore doesn't work||Backup and Restore|
|System restore win7 replaced hd||General Discussion|
|System Restart - possibly caused by Windows Backup and Restore?||Backup and Restore|