Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Macrium Reflect- leaving junk?

14 Nov 2011   #31
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

The Linux disk is a bootable mini version of Linux configured just to run the restore utility. They use it because it's free.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Nov 2011   #32
Senteaf

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Can I also browse the hard disk if Windows is installed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #33
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

I don't think so on the Linux disk. You can with the PE disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Nov 2011   #34
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Senteaf View Post

Okay I am a confused - on the Macrium tutorial you can see there is a button to burn such a recovery disk on a CD/DVD/USB storage. therefor eliminating downloads and hoops and jumps.

Yes there is a 200MB partition, probably for the MBR if I recall correctly and other required boot files.
besides the 200MB partition, the 500GB of the OS and user files, there two more partitions - one for the recovery solution and another one which I can not even see in process explorer and can also not even rename/delete. It is weird because I am an admin. I don't see any way the Manufacturer could block my access.
I assume you are referring to Macrium 5.0?? It does include a choice to make the PE disk directly. I don't think earlier versions of Macrium had that feature.

Your unexplained partition is likely a Lenovo tools partition and is not required for Windows to work properly. I don't know how you access it---possibly through a menu or function key during boot or maybe through something listed in your installed programs list or Control Panel?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #35
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

I don't think that button does anything on the free version. You need to select the radio button below it (custom PE) which also downloads the WAIK (1.7GB download) to create the PE disk from. It is all done with a wizard so you don't need to know about the WAIK. That is the way they get around licencing problems with Microsoft.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #36
Senteaf

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
I don't think so on the Linux disk. You can with the PE disk.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Senteaf View Post

Okay I am a confused - on the Macrium tutorial you can see there is a button to burn such a recovery disk on a CD/DVD/USB storage. therefor eliminating downloads and hoops and jumps.

Yes there is a 200MB partition, probably for the MBR if I recall correctly and other required boot files.
besides the 200MB partition, the 500GB of the OS and user files, there two more partitions - one for the recovery solution and another one which I can not even see in process explorer and can also not even rename/delete. It is weird because I am an admin. I don't see any way the Manufacturer could block my access.
I assume you are referring to Macrium 5.0?? It does include a choice to make the PE disk directly. I don't think earlier versions of Macrium had that feature.

Your unexplained partition is likely a Lenovo tools partition and is not required for Windows to work properly. I don't know how you access it---possibly through a menu or function key during boot or maybe through something listed in your installed programs list or Control Panel?
Yes Macrium Reflect, it is back on and is free too.
They have that option as seen in a screenshot in sevenforums' tutorial.

So by burning it directly to optical disc I can access an external HD through USB and have it save the output on my ext HD.
Yes I am not sure why it is there, I guess I will ask in the respective forum.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #37
Senteaf

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
I don't think that button does anything on the free version. You need to select the radio button below it (custom PE) which also downloads the WAIK (1.7GB download) to create the PE disk from. It is all done with a wizard so you don't need to know about the WAIK. That is the way they get around licencing problems with Microsoft.

Are you talking about Macrium Reflect?
Comparison
Free
Linux Rescue CD


It actually is available in the free version.
No way it is as huge, it should be simple so maybe you are confused with something
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #38
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

I think Kado is right, Here is a screen shot from the free version of Macrium 5.0. Looks like you have to download from Microsoft if you want the PE disk.

If you have the paid version, you can choose "Standard Windows PE". Otherwise, you are forced to "Custom".

The Linux disk is another story and is available in the free version.


Attached Thumbnails
Macrium Reflect- leaving junk?-untitled-1.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #39
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

That's what I thought.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2011   #40
Senteaf

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Okay then, what are the differences between PE and Linux?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Macrium Reflect- leaving junk?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Macrium Reflect to new HD?
Hi I need a bigger HD and am looking to upgrade to an ocz vertex 3 to an ocz vertex 4. Given that the hardware is similar should i be able to do this transfer? I'm only switching the HD not the mobo or anything else.
Backup and Restore
Help with Macrium Reflect
Hi, I have created a restore disc and I am attempting a system image to save to my external hard drive (e drive). I am not sure which partitions I would be best to check/include - see attached photo. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect
I have Macrium and have restored with it a couple of times with no problem. What I am wondering is that if my HD were fried and I had to get a new one, would Macrium backup to a new formated drive just as easy?
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect Pro
I have installed Macrium Reflect Pro to take advantage of being able to backup not only drives (or partitions) but also Folders and Files. When I created an image of my OS drive (C), with compression set to medium, the original size was 20.2gb and the compressed file was 7.23. The ratio is...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect
I have made a query on this before but my memory is getting very short these days. Its regarding the Macrium Reflect software. I accidently deleted a section of Microsoft Office OneNote and I want to restore it from the backup file using copy paste. I go into the drive where my backups are...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect
I have downloaded and used Macrium Reflect Free Version to do a backup of my system, then I created a boot disk and done a restore. I found it quite good and easy to use but was wondering if I can restore single folders or files with this software. If anyone has any information on this I would be...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App