Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Remove System Reserved Partition+Partition Wizard

25 Nov 2011   #1

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 
Remove System Reserved Partition+Partition Wizard

When I restore from an image there's only 31% free on the System Reserved Partition.
I have to wait about 30 minutes or longer and then there is 63% free, then I can create an image.

I want to continue to use the Win 7 backup utility because it's very reliable on my computer.

Quote:
You must have a Windows 7 Installation or Repair disc to do this.
System Reserved Partition - Delete - Windows 7 Forums
I've got a systen repair disc and the Partition Wizard Bootable CD.

I want to make sure I get this right before I do anything.

What do I do first, second, third & etc.?

Quote:
There is an easier-to-use graphical interface to do all of this using free Partition Wizard bootable CD. BareFootKid just wrote up a tutorial about using it to remove the 100mb Sys Reserved partition:
Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD

Using it might be easier for you to delete 100mb and also resize Windows 7 into the deleted 100mb HD space at the same time.
Windows 7 Forums - View Single Post - Backup Error code: 0x81000019
I found the information above from this older post> Backup Error code: 0x81000019 - Windows 7 Forums

The Disk 1 labled ExHD (D) below is an internal hard drive for my back ups.

The main question is how do I make the System Reserved Partition bigger? Delete & recreate, if so what steps do I take first, second & so on?
I don't want to mess up!




Attached Thumbnails
Remove System Reserved Partition+Partition Wizard-diskmanage1.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Nov 2011   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
System reserve is the wrong place to make your Backup for starters.
Damaging the Sys Reserve can cause problems.

Try putting Back ups on the external hard drive.
I don't think the OP is trying to put backups on the system reserved, the thread he

linked to is in regards to the error code which was originally failing backups because

of not enough free space in the system reserved partition, the solutions offered are

to make the system reserved larger or delete it and make the C partition active,

which would then require Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

Greg's post here Backup Error code: 0x81000019

explains the delete method.

Greg can expand on this, or the other method.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #3

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
System reserve is the wrong place to make your Backup for starters.
Damaging the Sys Reserve can cause problems.

Try putting Back ups on the external hard drive.
I don't think the OP is trying to put backups on the system reserved, the thread he

linked to is in regards to the error code which was originally failing backups because

of not enough free space in the system reserved partition, the solutions offered are

to make the system reserved larger or delete it and make the C partition active,

which would then require Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

Greg's post here Backup Error code: 0x81000019

explains the delete method.

Greg can expand on this, or the other method.
Exactly!

Then, when I restore from an image there's only 31% free on the System Reserved Partition.
If I try to create an image I get Backup Error code: 0x81000019.

I have to wait about 30 minutes or longer and then there is 63% free, then I can create an image.


Attached Thumbnails
Remove System Reserved Partition+Partition Wizard-diskmanage2.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Nov 2011   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

There is no need to restore the 100MB partition all the time. That partition never changes unless you add a double boot. I keep only 1 copy of the 100MB partition in case I have to move everything to another disk.

Problem you run into is that Windows7 imaging does not give you the option to restore C: alone. That is one reason I use other imaging programs (free Macrium and free Paragon).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #5
Microsoft MVP

 

Back up your files and a Windows 7 backup image: Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup . Use free Macrium if necessary: Macrium - Image your system

Boot free Partition Wizard CD, rightclick on C to Resize, left click hold to slide the left border to the right by the amount you want to increase System Reserved (I'd add another 100mb), click OK.

Then rightclick on SysReserved to Resize, drag right border all the way over to the right into the space you made on the left side of C, OK. Make sure it looks right then click Apply.

Reboot and try making your image again. If Windows 7 won't start boot Windows 7 DVD Repair console or System Repair Disk to run up to 3 Startup Repairs with reboots as shown in Derek's link to repair or rewrite the System boot files to SysReserved which may itself solve your issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #6

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Back up your files and a Windows 7 backup image: Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup . Use free Macrium if necessary: Macrium - Image your system

Boot free Partition Wizard CD, rightclick on C to Resize, left click hold to slide the left border to the right by the amount you want to increase System Reserved (I'd add another 100mb), click OK.

Then rightclick on SysReserved to Resize, drag right border all the way over to the right into the space you made on the left side of C, OK. Make sure it looks right then click Apply.

Reboot and try making your image again. If Windows 7 won't start boot Windows 7 DVD Repair console or System Repair Disk to run up to 3 Startup Repairs with reboots as shown in Derek's link to repair or rewrite the System boot files to SysReserved which may itself solve your issue.
I'll do this when I have a little more time and let you know it goes.

Thanks Greg!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #7
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I think this is normal behaviour for Windows imaging. I use it and free Macrium Reflect. Between the 2 I feel reasonably safe.

If the system reserved doesn't free up the required 50MB (reqd for most cases) then you can have a look at:
1) USN journal files clogging things up. Try using the fsutil command like here.
Windows 7 backup error 0x81000019 - a knol by Yohann Sulaiman
2) Delete the system reserved by transferring it's boot functions to the OS partition. I tend to keep it though.
3) Make it bigger. I have used Partition Wizard boot CD to resize from 100MB to ~200MB. I needed to schedule a chkdsk which did a file system repair. It seemed to work ok. Note: I had nothing to lose since I was making a separate drive for my son to use. I still wouldn't do this on a one HDD system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #8

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Back up your files and a Windows 7 backup image: Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup . Use free Macrium if necessary: Macrium - Image your system

Boot free Partition Wizard CD, rightclick on C to Resize, left click hold to slide the left border to the right by the amount you want to increase System Reserved (I'd add another 100mb), click OK.

Then rightclick on SysReserved to Resize, drag right border all the way over to the right into the space you made on the left side of C, OK. Make sure it looks right then click Apply.
Ok, did this but in System Protection something was added so I restored from an image.

Local Disk C said no System Restore points available & C(Missing) was added.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #9
Microsoft MVP

 

This is common after a repair. You simply click on C:Missing, turn System Protection Off, then enable it on C.

You should have asked as it would have saved you trouble. We deal with these issues regularly.

Do you still wish to expand Sys Reserved partition to see if it solves your issue, or jump ahead to the next step to delete it and recover System boot files into Windows 7 partition itself?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #10

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
This is common after a repair. You simply click on C:Missing, turn System Protection Off, then enable it on C.

You should have asked as it would have saved you trouble. We deal with these issues regularly.

Do you still wish to expand Sys Reserved partition to see if it solves your issue, or jump ahead to the next step to delete it and recover System boot files into Windows 7 partition itself?
I'll go ahead and expand Sys Reserved partition again.
Be back in a little I hope.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Remove System Reserved Partition+Partition Wizard




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Remove System Reserved Partition+Partition Wizard
Thread Forum
Solved How to remove a System Reserved partition on a data drive? Installation & Setup
System Reserved Partition General Discussion
Solved Main drive partition reading as "System Reserved" partition General Discussion
Solved Need to Resize or Remove System Reserved Partition Installation & Setup
Solved Where is my system reserved partition,please ? Installation & Setup
Remove System Reserved partition from external drive Installation & Setup
why is the System reserved partition so big? Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33