Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Remove System Reserved Partition+Partition Wizard

25 Nov 2011   #1
C-11

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 
Remove System Reserved Partition+Partition Wizard

When I restore from an image there's only 31% free on the System Reserved Partition.
I have to wait about 30 minutes or longer and then there is 63% free, then I can create an image.

I want to continue to use the Win 7 backup utility because it's very reliable on my computer.

Quote:
You must have a Windows 7 Installation or Repair disc to do this.
System Reserved Partition - Delete - Windows 7 Forums
I've got a systen repair disc and the Partition Wizard Bootable CD.

I want to make sure I get this right before I do anything.

What do I do first, second, third & etc.?

Quote:
There is an easier-to-use graphical interface to do all of this using free Partition Wizard bootable CD. BareFootKid just wrote up a tutorial about using it to remove the 100mb Sys Reserved partition:
Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD

Using it might be easier for you to delete 100mb and also resize Windows 7 into the deleted 100mb HD space at the same time.
Windows 7 Forums - View Single Post - Backup Error code: 0x81000019
I found the information above from this older post> Backup Error code: 0x81000019 - Windows 7 Forums

The Disk 1 labled ExHD (D) below is an internal hard drive for my back ups.

The main question is how do I make the System Reserved Partition bigger? Delete & recreate, if so what steps do I take first, second & so on?
I don't want to mess up!




Attached Thumbnails
-diskmanage1.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Nov 2011   #2
derekimo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
System reserve is the wrong place to make your Backup for starters.
Damaging the Sys Reserve can cause problems.

Try putting Back ups on the external hard drive.
I don't think the OP is trying to put backups on the system reserved, the thread he

linked to is in regards to the error code which was originally failing backups because

of not enough free space in the system reserved partition, the solutions offered are

to make the system reserved larger or delete it and make the C partition active,

which would then require Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

Greg's post here Backup Error code: 0x81000019

explains the delete method.

Greg can expand on this, or the other method.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #3
C-11

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hopalong X View Post
System reserve is the wrong place to make your Backup for starters.
Damaging the Sys Reserve can cause problems.

Try putting Back ups on the external hard drive.
I don't think the OP is trying to put backups on the system reserved, the thread he

linked to is in regards to the error code which was originally failing backups because

of not enough free space in the system reserved partition, the solutions offered are

to make the system reserved larger or delete it and make the C partition active,

which would then require Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times

Greg's post here Backup Error code: 0x81000019

explains the delete method.

Greg can expand on this, or the other method.
Exactly!

Then, when I restore from an image there's only 31% free on the System Reserved Partition.
If I try to create an image I get Backup Error code: 0x81000019.

I have to wait about 30 minutes or longer and then there is 63% free, then I can create an image.


Attached Thumbnails
-diskmanage2.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Nov 2011   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

There is no need to restore the 100MB partition all the time. That partition never changes unless you add a double boot. I keep only 1 copy of the 100MB partition in case I have to move everything to another disk.

Problem you run into is that Windows7 imaging does not give you the option to restore C: alone. That is one reason I use other imaging programs (free Macrium and free Paragon).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #5
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

Back up your files and a Win7 backup image: Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup . Use free Macrium if necessary: Macrium - Image your system

Boot free Partition Wizard CD, rightclick on C to Resize, left click hold to slide the left border to the right by the amount you want to increase System Reserved (I'd add another 100mb), click OK.

Then rightclick on SysReserved to Resize, drag right border all the way over to the right into the space you made on the left side of C, OK. Make sure it looks right then click Apply.

Reboot and try making your image again. If Win7 won't start boot Win7 DVD Repair console or System Repair Disk to run up to 3 Startup Repairs with reboots as shown in Derek's link to repair or rewrite the System boot files to SysReserved which may itself solve your issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #6
C-11

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Back up your files and a Win7 backup image: Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup . Use free Macrium if necessary: Macrium - Image your system

Boot free Partition Wizard CD, rightclick on C to Resize, left click hold to slide the left border to the right by the amount you want to increase System Reserved (I'd add another 100mb), click OK.

Then rightclick on SysReserved to Resize, drag right border all the way over to the right into the space you made on the left side of C, OK. Make sure it looks right then click Apply.

Reboot and try making your image again. If Win7 won't start boot Win7 DVD Repair console or System Repair Disk to run up to 3 Startup Repairs with reboots as shown in Derek's link to repair or rewrite the System boot files to SysReserved which may itself solve your issue.
I'll do this when I have a little more time and let you know it goes.

Thanks Greg!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #7
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

I think this is normal behaviour for Windows imaging. I use it and free Macrium Reflect. Between the 2 I feel reasonably safe.

If the system reserved doesn't free up the required 50MB (reqd for most cases) then you can have a look at:
1) USN journal files clogging things up. Try using the fsutil command like here.
Windows 7 backup error 0x81000019 - a knol by Yohann Sulaiman
2) Delete the system reserved by transferring it's boot functions to the OS partition. I tend to keep it though.
3) Make it bigger. I have used Partition Wizard boot CD to resize from 100MB to ~200MB. I needed to schedule a chkdsk which did a file system repair. It seemed to work ok. Note: I had nothing to lose since I was making a separate drive for my son to use. I still wouldn't do this on a one HDD system.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #8
C-11

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Back up your files and a Win7 backup image: Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup . Use free Macrium if necessary: Macrium - Image your system

Boot free Partition Wizard CD, rightclick on C to Resize, left click hold to slide the left border to the right by the amount you want to increase System Reserved (I'd add another 100mb), click OK.

Then rightclick on SysReserved to Resize, drag right border all the way over to the right into the space you made on the left side of C, OK. Make sure it looks right then click Apply.
Ok, did this but in System Protection something was added so I restored from an image.

Local Disk C said no System Restore points available & C(Missing) was added.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #9
gregrocker
Microsoft MVP

 
 

This is common after a repair. You simply click on C:Missing, turn System Protection Off, then enable it on C.

You should have asked as it would have saved you trouble. We deal with these issues regularly.

Do you still wish to expand Sys Reserved partition to see if it solves your issue, or jump ahead to the next step to delete it and recover System boot files into Win7 partition itself?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2011   #10
C-11

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
This is common after a repair. You simply click on C:Missing, turn System Protection Off, then enable it on C.

You should have asked as it would have saved you trouble. We deal with these issues regularly.

Do you still wish to expand Sys Reserved partition to see if it solves your issue, or jump ahead to the next step to delete it and recover System boot files into Win7 partition itself?
I'll go ahead and expand Sys Reserved partition again.
Be back in a little I hope.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Remove System Reserved Partition+Partition Wizard




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Why does Partition Wizard show a GPT (Reserved Partition) ?
I just got my first 3TB (> 2TB) HD. I initialized it as a GPT Disk in Windows Disk Management (DM). I created the partition in MiniTool Partition Wizard (PW). Seeing a difference in DM and PW, I cleaned the disk and then re-initialized and created the partition in DM. If the partition is...
Hardware & Devices
Clean install wont partition Disk 0 with system reserved partition
Trying to do a clean install and my Windows 7 Home Premium x64 seems to have an aversion to putting the system reserved partion on disk 0. My HP notebook has two identical disk drives. If I boot up the windows install with both drives unallocated and do a custom install, the window where i select...
Installation & Setup
How to remove a System Reserved partition on a data drive?
Hi Everyone I recently added another Hard Drive that had a partially installed version of W7 on it (long story!) When it booted up, Windows said it was installing software on it, I am thinking maybe because of the Windows files on there it was thinking I wanted a dual boot setup? When I...
Installation & Setup
Main drive partition reading as "System Reserved" partition
Hey there, not sure where to put this but here goes: I had a friend bring me a laptop to fix, it had a nasty collection of viruses. So I took the hard drive out and plugged it in to anoter machine running XP to do a virus scan using Symantec Endpoint Protection. I didn't have a USB adapter...
General Discussion
Need to Resize or Remove System Reserved Partition
Hi, I have a software Asus Express Gate which refuse to start because I don't have enough space available in my System reserved partition, (ya I know this is the reason co'z I've searched alot) so this is why I want to resize my system reserved partition which is currently on 100MB but the problem...
Installation & Setup
Remove System Reserved partition from external drive
Hi I've taken a 1TB SATA HDD from a second computer which had Windows 7 OS on it. I have housed it in an external caddy to use as a backup drive for my primary computer. It comes up as two paritions G and H. I've formatted G to give me a 931Gb drive and I have a H drive with 99.9MB which is the...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App