Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Backup and Restore file with 0 bytes??

14 Aug 2009   #1
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 
Backup and Restore file with 0 bytes??

I installed Windows 7 RC 64-bit as a dual boot with Vista earlier today.

As an experiment, I ran the backup and restore function and set it to backup my system drive and a couple of folders on another driive.

It took about 15 minutes, during which I looked at the details dropdown and saw a bunch of files whizzing by and figured all was OK.

Before the backup, the destination drive had about 139 gigs free. The drive's property sheet said it had 104 gigs after the backup was finished.

I then went to the image file and right clicked. It showed a file size of zero bytes.

Not confidence-inspiring. What gives and why would it show zero bytes?? Does it in fact have zero bytes or about 35?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Aug 2009   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

I am bumping this one time in hopes of getting some comments.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #3
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I installed Windows 7 RC 64-bit as a dual boot with Vista earlier today.

As an experiment, I ran the backup and restore function and set it to backup my system drive and a couple of folders on another driive.

It took about 15 minutes, during which I looked at the details dropdown and saw a bunch of files whizzing by and figured all was OK.

Before the backup, the destination drive had about 139 gigs free. The drive's property sheet said it had 104 gigs after the backup was finished.

I then went to the image file and right clicked. It showed a file size of zero bytes.

Not confidence-inspiring. What gives and why would it show zero bytes?? Does it in fact have zero bytes or about 35?
The backup file is hidden. do you have all files/folders visible? where are you looking for the backup files?

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Aug 2009   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Ken:

Thanks for the response.

I backed up to D:\temp and there was a file there, but I can't recall the exact name.

I deleted it when I saw it had no bytes.

Can the user not control the destination?

If backup put a file somewhere else, peraps it is still there, but when I deleted that file from D temp, my drive free space went back up by 35 gigs.

Where should I look for that file?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #5
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

I just ran backup and restore again.

I chose to backup C and one folder from E onto my D drive.

Results:

A file in D bearing the name of my system. I assume this is the C drive portion of my backup. Right clicking this shows 0 bytes.

Another file called MediaID.bin on the D drive. Right-clicking shows 528 bytes.

What file is supposed to be hidden per Ken's response and where is it supposed to be?

Is all of this normal behavior? I am reluctant to put any faith in these backups until I understand what is going on.

I have switched on viewing system and hidden files and see no differences or additional files on D.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #6
Snufffed

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I installed Windows 7 RC 64-bit as a dual boot with Vista earlier today.

As an experiment, I ran the backup and restore function and set it to backup my system drive and a couple of folders on another driive.

It took about 15 minutes, during which I looked at the details dropdown and saw a bunch of files whizzing by and figured all was OK.

Before the backup, the destination drive had about 139 gigs free. The drive's property sheet said it had 104 gigs after the backup was finished.

I then went to the image file and right clicked. It showed a file size of zero bytes.

Not confidence-inspiring. What gives and why would it show zero bytes?? Does it in fact have zero bytes or about 35?
Many times you have to close that special directory where the files are stored.
back out at least 2 places, then forward back to the store folder.
sample; D:\my files\backup\win7.tib
back out to D:\ then forward to my files then backup then see if the win7.tib has size.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #7
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Snuffy:

Thanks for the response.

A few points:

A search of all drives on my PC with folder view set to show hidden and system files returns no hits for TIB files. Should there be a TIB folder somewhere and if so where?

I saw no choice to save the restore in any particular folder. My only choices were among drives--C, D, or E. I chose D and the file landed in the root of D. Are you saying I could have chosen a subfolder?

The file (or folder; I can't tell which it is because it has an odd icon) shows zero bytes when I simply right click it.

However, since my last post I discovered that if I double-clicke the file/folder, 4 gig of subfolders spill out (zip folders).

If I then go back to parent folder, it now shows 4 gigs, rather than zero bytes. I have no idea why that is. Normal behavior?

Lastly--if I restore data files (not system files), can I choose the destination, or am I limited to restoring them to their original source?

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #8
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Ken:

Thanks for the response.

I backed up to D:\temp and there was a file there, but I can't recall the exact name.

I deleted it when I saw it had no bytes.

Can the user not control the destination?

If backup put a file somewhere else, peraps it is still there, but when I deleted that file from D temp, my drive free space went back up by 35 gigs.

Where should I look for that file?
If im not mistaken (i dont use win backup) the backup file itself is stored in system volume information on the volume you choose for the backup. Its a locked folder so if you want to fool with it you're probably going to have to take ownership, etc.

Im not entirely comfortable with win backup and restore by itsel,so I started using a third party app (in my case acronis) and once i had used it i never went back.

Let me know if you cant find it

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #9
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Ken:

Correction to my original post: I backed up to D, not D temp; as far as I could tell, I could only choose a drive, not a subfolder.

I turned on view system files and hidden files and can see a system volume information folder on C, D, and E.

All show zero bytes with a right click, which may or may not be normal.

All are "access denied", so I can't tell what, if anything, is in them. Perhaps this is a matter of getting the correct permission, but I don't know how to do that.

As far as I know I am some kind of administrator on the machine--sole owner and operator.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Aug 2009   #10
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Ken:

Correction to my original post: I backed up to D, not D temp; as far as I could tell, I could only choose a drive, not a subfolder.

I turned on view system files and hidden files and can see a system volume information folder on C, D, and E.

All show zero bytes with a right click, which may or may not be normal.

All are "access denied", so I can't tell what, if anything, is in them. Perhaps this is a matter of getting the correct permission, but I don't know how to do that.

As far as I know I am some kind of administrator on the machine--sole owner and operator.
hey even if you cant see them they should have size. I use a 3rd party app called treesize pro. It lets you look at, change, delete, etc anything. In my system volume I have one file thats 13 gigs, which is I assume the only backup I did using win 7 backup. Just deleted it ( i need the space). Hope someone with more experiece can help, but treesize is really good and there is a trial thats free.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Backup and Restore file with 0 bytes??




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
What backup software is complete and has searchable file restore?
I currently use Norton cloud storage but I'd like to backup to DVDs instead. Does all backup software have the convenience of search-ability? It's a pleasure to restore exactly a file specified, and only that file - that's what I mean by search-ability. Thank you in advance for sage...
Backup and Restore
Windows7 Backup and Restore utility: I can't find the file to backup
Hi, New to this forum. I am using Win7 Backup and Restore, along with a Seagate external drive for my backup needs. I backup every week, and have been using it for about 1 year. I see the backups happening each week, but I've never had the need to restore anything. For the first time, I've...
Backup and Restore
How to see file size kilobytes instead of bytes
I just want to know guys how do I see the file size in kilobytes instead of bytes of a file ? thanks for your answers in advance :)
General Discussion
WMP12 shows 0 bytes file size
Hello, I've got a problem with WMP12, all the files I'm playing with the player are in my Music library. http://i33.tinypic.com/dzgefa.jpg How can I solve this? The songs plays fine, but why is it showing 0 bytes?
Music, Pictures & Video
Disk has 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free
hey Guys, I had a very healthy version of XP media center formatted with NTFS FS. I had my D drive as the OS drive and my C drive was my storage drive...dont ask how it got there but it was a series of me playing around with Disk mirroring and drive swapping. Anyway when I upgraded to...
Installation & Setup
PERVERTED: 70 bytes/sec after system restore
Hi to all the Forum-Members ! I really would appreciate your help to the following "perverted" situation: I installed W7 without any problems, everything worked as proposed, Internet access OK. After the installation of some additional software, I decided to save my work. So I did an image...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App