Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Backup or Image?

25 Jan 2012   #1
jack1953

Windows 7
 
 
Backup or Image?

Well, I got the netbook and my refurbished Dell pretty well setup, except for deciding how to approach the backup option to an external drive.

I've got Acronis 2012. Basically what I'd like to do, is be able to set something up that will backup my hard drive periodically as the files change.

That way my external drive will always be up to date, in leiu of a system crash.

I'm not even sure if this is possible, but I won't know unless I ask.

Anxious to hear from the experts.........and there is not an ounce of sarcasm in that whatsoever! You guys rock and the knowledge I've gained here has been priceless!!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Jack


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jan 2012   #2
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #3
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jack1953 View Post
Basically what I'd like to do, is be able to set something up that will backup my hard drive periodically as the files change.
Are you referring to Windows files--your "system"?

Or your personal data files?

Or both?

How many hard drives and how many partitions on each?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jan 2012   #4
jack1953

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jack1953 View Post
Basically what I'd like to do, is be able to set something up that will backup my hard drive periodically as the files change.
Are you referring to Windows files--your "system"?

Or your personal data files?

Or both?

How many hard drives and how many partitions on each?
Just one hard drive going to an external drive. I navigated my way through Acronis and set it up to backup daily!

Speaking of partitions, when I went to use Windows 7 Backup on my netbook it was asking for a place to back it up because there was no external drive hooked up.

If I partition the drive, will Windows 7 then recognize 2 drives and I can backup from the main drive to the partitioned drive?

Is there any free software that will make a partition on Windows 7?

The best I could find, price wise, on a quick Google search, was Paragon is offering a 10 day license for $9.95.

Jack
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #5
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

1. Acronis is an excellent option. It is not the easiest to operate, but it does a fine job.

2. Make a folder for you netbook on the external drive and a folder for your Dell. Then image to those folders.

3. Partitions you create with Disk Management after shrinking some space from an existing partition. No program required.

4. Imaging to the same physical disk as the source is not a good idea. What do you do when the disk goes belly up. Use the external
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #6
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jack1953 View Post

If I partition the drive, will Windows 7 then recognize 2 drives and I can backup from the main drive to the partitioned drive?

Is there any free software that will make a partition on Windows 7?
You don't need software to make a partition. You can do it with Windows own Disk Management.

But your plan has holes in it. Big holes.

If your single hard drive fails, you are sunk. Your image file and backups are gone.

You can do it that way, but it's foolish.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #7
jack1953

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jack1953 View Post

If I partition the drive, will Windows 7 then recognize 2 drives and I can backup from the main drive to the partitioned drive?

Is there any free software that will make a partition on Windows 7?
You don't need software to make a partition. You can do it with Windows own Disk Management.

But your plan has holes in it. Big holes.

If your single hard drive fails, you are sunk. Your image file and backups are gone.

You can do it that way, but it's foolish.

Excellent point now that I think about it! Very foolish! I do have 2 externals. So best to back up netbook on one and the Dell on the bigger one since it is a 500G and the net is a 160G?

If I am understanding you guys correctly, in other posts, cloning or imaging is only advantageous if one needs to make room on their main drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #8
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

You can back up to any external you choose. You can back up the Dell and the notebook to the same drive assuming there is enough space.

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence. Cloning is a means of transferring to a larger drive when you run out of space, not in an emergency. Imaging is a method of recovering from a disaster or bad situation.

Cloning is not a backup. Period. Full stop. Cloning leaves you nothing to backup from. Cloning does not create a file that can be used to restore. Imaging does.

Cloning and imaging are entirely different processes..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #9
jack1953

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
You can back up to any external you choose. You can back up the Dell and the notebook to the same drive assuming there is enough space.

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence. Cloning is a means of transferring to a larger drive when you run out of space, not in an emergency. Imaging is a method of recovering from a disaster or bad situation.

Cloning is not a backup. Period. Full stop. Cloning leaves you nothing to backup from. Cloning does not create a file that can be used to restore. Imaging does.

Cloning and imaging are entirely different processes..
While I've got your attention Igna, can you explain to me, the difference between Imaging and Cloning, and examples of when it would be beneficial to use both?

Thanks,

Jack
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2012   #10
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
If I am understanding you guys correctly, in other posts, cloning or imaging is only advantageous if one needs to make room on their main drive?
I don't think so. Forget cloning. Imaging is done to enable you to recover from a tight spot (Virus, System failure, etc.).

Before you start imaging your C: partition, check in Disk Management whether you have a 100MB active System Partition. It may be a hidden partition, but in Disk Management you can see it. If that is the case, transfer your bootmgr first to C:. It is a 3 click operation like this: Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD This will make your life a lot easier later because you have to deal only with 1 partition which is C:.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Backup or Image?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup
How to Create a System Image Backup in Windows 7 A system image is an exact copy of a drive. By default, a system image includes the drives required for Windows to run. A system image would include all NTFS formatted partitions with an operating system installed on it (ex: C ), as well as the...
Tutorials
Managing a backup from a previous image (eg. deleting system image)
Hello, Before I re-imaged my laptop, I made sure to do a backup of personal files + a system image in case things went wrong. The imaging was successful, and now, the new Win7 OS recognizes the old backup as a backup from another computer (as it should). However, is it possible to manage...
Backup and Restore
Image Restore can't find Backup Image
I need a little help figuring this out. I made a backup image a while back on my network. Now that I want to re-image, I reboot as requested, wait for it to load, and Windows says it can't find my backup, "if it is on a network, close this window , type the network location." Putting in the...
Backup and Restore
Choosing between a file backup and a image backup...
I've recently upgraded to a 1.5TB external hard drive for video production work, which has left me with a 500GB drive which is no longer needed. I'm thinking of using it as a backup. Is Windows backup sufficient? Or should I be looking at specialist software? Also, I'm probably just going to...
Backup and Restore
Backup Image with Windows Backup and Restore
I have been using Acronis Rescue disk to make images of my system. It works fine, but is a pain because I have open up the case and disconnect my secondary hard drive and change from my wireless mouse to a wired mouse. So I decided to try to the built-in Backup and Restore in Win 7 Pro and...
Backup and Restore
system image backup - how does windows pick the drives to backup?
Hi From times to times I load my disk image backup from win7 system and install the new programs/drivers i was using and save a new backup. I usually to do this by backing up my C: drive, but this turn to my surprise, windows for some reason wants to backup C and D, is it possible to pick a...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:13.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App