Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Disk management - system reserved


13 Feb 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 
Disk management - system reserved

Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1.

What is system reserved used for and why do I need it if I already have a Recovery partition setup By Acer Aspire 7741Z?



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Feb 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

The one on the left, 14.65 GB, is needed should you want to restore to factory specifications like the day you got the PC. If you make a set of recovery disks that can do the same thing, you might consider getting rid of this partition. Otherwise, keep it.

The system reserved partition contains your boot files and should be left alone. It's very small anyway. You can get rid of it if you want to after transferring your boot files to C, but why bother?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
The one on the left, 14.65 GB, is needed should you want to restore to factory specifications like the day you got the PC. If you make a set of recovery disks that can do the same thing, you might consider getting rid of this partition. Otherwise, keep it.

The system reserved partition contains your boot files and should be left alone. It's very small anyway. You can get rid of it if you want to after transferring your boot files to C, but why bother?
Thank you.

t-4-2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Feb 2012   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I always move the bootmgr to C - it is dead simple. Not because I need the extra 100MB, but because it is more convenient for imaging and if you want to transfer the OS to another disk - e.g. an SSD. Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2012   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I always move the bootmgr to C - it is dead simple. Not because I need the extra 100MB, but because it is more convenient for imaging and if you want to transfer the OS to another disk - e.g. an SSD. Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD
Just for the heck of it, I downloaded and ran the EasyBCD.
Question:
How do I know C: has a copy of the bootmgr ?

Thank you.

t-4-2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2012   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I always move the bootmgr to C - it is dead simple. Not because I need the extra 100MB, but because it is more convenient for imaging and if you want to transfer the OS to another disk - e.g. an SSD. Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD
Just for the heck of it, I downloaded and ran the EasyBCD.
Question:
How do I know C: has a copy of the bootmgr ?

Thank you.

t-4-2
Easy, if C:\ is marked active, it is there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by t-4-2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I always move the bootmgr to C - it is dead simple. Not because I need the extra 100MB, but because it is more convenient for imaging and if you want to transfer the OS to another disk - e.g. an SSD. Bootmgr - Move to C:\ with EasyBCD
Just for the heck of it, I downloaded and ran the EasyBCD.
Question:
How do I know C: has a copy of the bootmgr ?

Thank you.

t-4-2
Easy, if C:\ is marked active, it is there.
Yes. Saw the word Active, among others, in Disk Management.

Thank you.
t-4-2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Disk management - system reserved




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33