I'm trying to install an image that i created from windows 7 backup onto an external HD.
1.With the external installed i turn on the laptop and hit f12 which brings me into legacy boot options.
2.I select usb storage
3.it tells me windows is loading files with bar at bottom of screen.
4.next it says windows is starting.
5.next windows says windows recovery options. its says restore your comp using a system image that you created earlier. NEXT
6.(windows cannot find sys image.
7. I hit cancel which brings me into sys recovery options (its says choose a recovery tool)
8. i select dell backup and rec manager at the bottom.
9. window comes up that says restore system (please choose the backup you wish to restore from he drop-down list below.
10. my backup is listed. NEXT
11. next box -WARNING: utility will erase operating system.........
click yes to erase partition and restore backup
12. next box- system restore box
this utility is erasing your op system and then writing the backup image you selected. process can't be stopped.
In the last step the bar goes across at the bottom indicating that it is erasing current HD this lasts 20-30seconds. it then seems to hang up??No bar moving at bottom. not sure if this just takes a long time or should it be moving slowly?? i've left it running for 20-30min with no change or indication of bar moving.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. I'm not 100% convinced i've done the steps correctly. thank you, Owen