Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Macrium restore problem

01 Apr 2012   #1
Flik

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
Macrium restore problem

I had to restore an image last week. On getting to the desktop after the restore, there was a shortcut on the desktop to a programme that was installed when I started the restore process but was not installed when the image was made.

Because of this I'm a bit wary of using it again, any ideas as to why this happened?

Thanks in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Apr 2012   #2
HammerHead

win 7 X64 Ultimate SP1
 
 
De Ja Vu?

What you are telling me is Macrium anticipated your installation of the app and went ahead and included it in the image. I don't think so. There is another explanation. Not knowing exactly what you have done precludes me from what that explanation is. I have found Macrium to be very reliable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #3
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Hi Flik,

That's a strange one. A few things.

1. Are you sure that the shortcut wasn't there when you imaged?
2. Is it a functioning shortcut to an installed program?
3. Is your desktop on the partition you imaged and restored?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Apr 2012   #4
Flik

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
Hi Flik,

That's a strange one. A few things.

1. Are you sure that the shortcut wasn't there when you imaged?
2. Is it a functioning shortcut to an installed program?
3. Is your desktop on the partition you imaged and restored?
Hi

1. Positive, I didnít install the programme until after I made the image.
2. No, it was just the shortcut (with generic icon, not the programmes icon) which didnít lead anywhere as the programme was no longer installed.
3. Yep
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #5
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Weird. I've never heard of anything like that before. Were there any other problems with the restore?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #6
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

well Macrium and pretty much any imaging program takes its information from shadow copy so there must have been a discrepancy between the shadow copy image and the true state of windows at the time you imaged

so if the shadow copy was Copy-on-Write which is differential then the data for the shortcut would have still existed when you took the image and before it was overwritten
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2012   #7
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

The problem with that theory is that the program and the desktop shortcut were not installed until after the image was taken.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #8
ickymay

win7 ultimate / virtual box
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
The problem with that theory is that the program and the desktop shortcut were not installed until after the image was taken.
agreed but the answers from the OP dont stack up ................
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flik View Post
I had to restore an image last week. On getting to the desktop after the restore, there was a shortcut on the desktop to a programme that was installed when I started the restore process but was not installed when the image was made.
suggests the program was installed when the restore process was started ?

then the op unninstalled it , then the OP made the image ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #9
kronckew

Win 7 ultimate x64 sp1
 
 

check the date on the macrium image. mount the image via macrium's restore/inspect image. look in the mounted image folder <image drive letter>\Users\owner\Desktop to see if the shortcut is there. if it is, there was a full image or incremental made after the install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2012   #10
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ickymay View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
The problem with that theory is that the program and the desktop shortcut were not installed until after the image was taken.
agreed but the answers from the OP dont stack up ................
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Flik View Post
I had to restore an image last week. On getting to the desktop after the restore, there was a shortcut on the desktop to a programme that was installed when I started the restore process but was not installed when the image was made.
suggests the program was installed when the restore process was started ?

then the op unninstalled it , then the OP made the image ?
Hence my earlier questions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Macrium restore problem




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Macrium Reflect v5 restore
This morning I had to restore an image using Macrium. The image was only 5 days old. I had made both the Linux and Pe rescue disks. The Linux disk did NOT work at all. The PE rescue disk loaded and first it did not load 3 drivers, but I did a scan and it found the drivers and loaded them. ...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Restore Question With New HD
You can see from my Disk Management that my C: and D: partitions are backed up to my F: and G:. My C: is getting full and I thought I would get a bigger HD and restore C: and D: to it. == I am not sure of the exact steps to follow to do this. I can install the new HD and have three in there at one...
Backup and Restore
Macrium restore question
My HD When do I mark the image I'm restoring as active and when do I replace the MBR in the following scenarios. 1-If I'm restoring only the C partition. 2-If I'm restoring only the system reserved.
Backup and Restore
Need to restore an image using macrium - help pls
Hi, I need to restore an image I used and I saved the image on an external hard drive using free macrium. After I made the image I upgraded to windows 7 but I have had a real problem getting wifi to work so I figure I will go back to the way it was. Can I do that? Problem is that I have a new...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect - How do you restore
I have been looking at this software and it looks great so far. However when reading the documentation I notice to make a restore disk you need to purchase software. SO when using the free edition how are you managing your restore when needed? :confused: Macrium Reflect Backup and Hard Disk...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Restore
Hi, I've created an 'image' of my internal hard drive C:\ to an external HD & I have no partitions. My question is when testing Macrium restore with a recovery disk I get to a screen asking me to select 'active', 'primary' or something else. I don't know which to select. I currently don't have any...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App