Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System restore not working, windows will not start,


08 Apr 2012   #1

Windows 7 home premium 64, hp 6280t
 
 
System restore not working, windows will not start,

Having some issues,

Hp 6280 with windows 7 64 home premium

Started and ran fine for about an hour, then I shut it down.
When I started it again later that evening, I got. ( and still get) the blue hp screen with options ( esc to boot, f11 etc etc) however it then goes to a black screen. Nothing else

F11 and f8 do not work

I have 3 recovery discs, that I burned when I bought tis computer, I attempted to boot from them and was able to get into recovery manager with the first disc, (no prompts to load the other discs)

I've tried start up repair , first run it rebooted and back to the same, second time it said it was not repairable and asked to call home, so to speak
It currently says it is still running,

I also tried a system restore to an earlier hpsf point and once completed it went back to the black screen

I run avg, malware bytes, and ccleaner on occassion,
I did get an alert from avg for suspicious program ( don't recall the code) a few days ago.

Any ideas how to fix? Or am I toast?

I have not tried factory reset yet

Thanks!!!

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Apr 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

welcome to seven forums lyman!

as you saying F8 and F11 doesn't work, means that you cant get into advanced restore options or recovery environment. but that is really unusual. I had couple of times like this with my g6 but those worked just fine. And this may seem as silly, but try pressing fn+F8 at startup and see whether that takes you to the advanced boot options.
and if not, if you have your windows 7 dvd, boot with it and select repair option and then restore. wish you good luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #3

Windows 7 home premium 64, hp 6280t
 
 

Thanks for the tip, but that did not work either,
Tried another restore point and that failed as well

I only have the recovery discs, no DVDs came with the computer, I bought it factory direst

I've tried to reboot from the partition, but cannot get the ' next' icon to lite up

Start up repair now says, when I look at problem details, problem signature 7: NoOsInstalled,


Guess I need to either know if the 3 recovery discs I have will fix that, and how to get them to load, or I need to go to another computer ( I have one a few miles down the road) and try to download a windows 7 disc?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Apr 2012   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lyman View Post
Thanks for the tip, but that did not work either,
Tried another restore point and that failed as well
how did you try for another restore point? you've told that windows doesn't boot and F8 and F11 also not working! and what is the error code you get or what is the error msg. if you could post some info, it may help some expertise.

Quote:
I only have the recovery discs, no DVDs came with the computer, I bought it factory direst

I've tried to reboot from the partition, but cannot get the ' next' icon to lite up

Start up repair now says, when I look at problem details, problem signature 7: NoOsInstalled,


Guess I need to either know if the 3 recovery discs I have will fix that, and how to get them to load, or I need to go to another computer ( I have one a few miles down the road) and try to download a windows 7 disc?
I guess this means that apparently you dont have any windows dvd. and bout this no osinstalled error, most people have experiences with that as it wont solve until you repair your system. I would suggest you to go get a win dvd. just boot with it and do a repair. thats just simple without wasting time.

and one more thing, dont trust dvds as backup media. use ex. hard or even int.hard as they are more reliable. and personaly I dont trust windows imaging, instead of use a free software like macrium and keep a rescue cd with you in this kind of scenario. and yet, how did you try for another restore point?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #5

Windows 7 home premium 64, hp 6280t
 
 

I can get into the boot menu with the esc key, and into recover manager with the 1st recovery disk in the drive,

I tried a restore point from last week first, without success,
It just went to the black screen when it rebooted,

In the recovery manager I have 3 options under 'I need help immediately'
Microsoft system restore
Microsoft start up repair tool
Factory reset

When I click restore it sends me to system restore
I selected an automated restore point from 30 days ago and got this message

An unspecified error occurred during system restore. (0x8000ffff)

I'm going to go to my other imputed sand see if I can download a DVD for windows, ( saw some links while surfing this forum) and try again


Thanks or your help, and advice, an external hard drive will be added ths week!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

then if you can get into the advanced boot menu, you can get into the command prompt right. try running sfc/scannow command for a hit in the dark. it may recover if windows have some damges and otherwise it will ask for a win dvd. good luck. and repairing with a win dvd surely make it work. and after that make an image of the system drive.

here's a link for disk imaging with macrium which I trust personally as well as most here.
Image your system with free Macrium
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

and oh sorry, I forgot to ask you, have you tried restore from safe mode? if you had antivirus like norton installed and any program uses the volume shadow copy services in idle, restore is tend to not to work. have you tried safe mode?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #8

Windows 7 home premium 64, hp 6280t
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by suspect008 View Post
then if you can get into the advanced boot menu, you can get into the command prompt right. try running sfc/scannow command for a hit in the dark. it may recover if windows have some damges and otherwise it will ask for a win dvd. good luck. and repairing with a win dvd surely make it work. and after that make an image of the system drive.

here's a link for disk imaging with macrium which I trust personally as well as most here.
Image your system with free Macrium
Con not get to safe mode screen nor can I get a start key to get to command prompt, I can only get into recovery manager when I have the first recovery disc in the drive

Off to burn a DVD now and will try that when I return
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

thats good. with the disk if you couldnt repair on first shot, try startup repair first and then windows repair.
by the way, what did you mean by "I can get into the boot menu with the esc key" on earlier post. I think i didn't got what you said clearly there. what boot menu you get in with esc? clearly 1st recovery disk will get you to the recovery manager though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2012   #10

Windows 7 home premium 64, hp 6280t
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by suspect008 View Post
thats good. with the disk if you couldnt repair on first shot, try startup repair first and then windows repair.
by the way, what did you mean by "I can get into the boot menu with the esc key" on earlier post. I think i didn't got what you said clearly there. what boot menu you get in with esc? clearly 1st recovery disk will get you to the recovery manager though.
with my HP. I get a blue screen with the HP jargon/logo, with the options esc to boot, F11, f10 etc, then, with the disc installed it goes into the recovery manager,

I can't get it to go much further,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 System restore not working, windows will not start,




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33