Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Registry is corrupt Again.

28 Apr 2012   #1
bluedino

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1-U 64bit
 
 
Registry is corrupt Again.

So I cleaned installed after a corrupt registry (might had been caused by a Windows Update). And the second time, it corrupted again in an hour. So I clean installed again and the third time said something about a patch (error 0x490 I think) was the cause but since I ran chkdsk before removing the patch, the check disk started eating registry files so I was not able to salvage it. Then, I tried reinstallation with an Win 7 SP1-u and made sure it booted with all the programs I have and saw that all the updates were installed. So after having it working well, I turned it off last night. This morning, it gives me the registry is corrupt again. I'm starting to think that it might be the hard drive failing but I don't hear any funny noises. Or maybe one of Windows Updates is still messing with me however unlikely. Is there any other reason why this keeps happening? If the hard drive is the cause, could I use a system image on another hard drive and retain the Windows license key(for this you can just point me to the right tutorial on this site if so)?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Apr 2012   #2
seavixen32

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
 
 

It may well be the hard drive that is the problem.

If you decide to transfer the image to another hard drive, have a look at this tutorial.

Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2012   #3
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Perform from Elevated Command Prompt
Code:
 
chkdsk/f/r  C:
It says something like "system cannot lock drive C. Do you want it to be performed on restart?" Say Y and reboot. It takes many hours to complete!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Apr 2012   #4
bluedino

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1-U 64bit
 
 

Do I need to have my Security ID (SID) resetted just for a hard drive change? Can I just:
  1. Shut down the computer, dismount the HD and mount the new one
  2. Boot from Windows 7 installation DVD, choosing Repair > Restore an image
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2012   #5
bluedino

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1-U 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Perform from Elevated Command Prompt
Code:
 
chkdsk/f/r  C:
It says something like "system cannot lock drive C. Do you want it to be performed on restart?" Say Y and reboot. It takes many hours to complete!
I have done that the first three times the registry corrupted, but it never solves the problem. It always end with a log error 50 or something like that. I followed Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot and I've tried repairing it using System Recovery Options and Startup Repair 3 times but they didn't work. I've tried to copy the files from windows32/system/config/regback to windows32/system/config still no luck (the back-up files seem to be more corrupt too, actually worse as it doesn't seem to follow the numbers in Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery, so I reversed it when I couldn't save that either as I made a backup of the original registry before using regback as suggested in Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery). I tried:
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /RebuildBcd

But that didn't work.

I tried chkdsk d: /f /r with dismount (my windows files are in d: with c: as a reserve). I tried sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=d:\windows also.

Edit: Also, C: is my reserve, D: is where my files are stored
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2012   #6
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bluedino View Post
Do I need to have my Security ID (SID) resetted just for a hard drive change? Can I just:
  1. Shut down the computer, dismount the HD and mount the new one
  2. Boot from Windows 7 installation DVD, choosing Repair > Restore an image
That should work... why not. As long as the new harddrive is large enough. Do you trust the backup? I mean has it been made prior to corruption?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2012   #7
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bluedino View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Perform from Elevated Command Prompt
Code:
 
chkdsk/f/r  C:
It says something like "system cannot lock drive C. Do you want it to be performed on restart?" Say Y and reboot. It takes many hours to complete!
I have done that the first three times the registry corrupted, but it never solves the problem. It always end with a log error 50 or something like that. I followed Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot and I've tried repairing it using System Recovery Options and Startup Repair 3 times but they didn't work. I've tried to copy the files from windows32/system/config/regback to windows32/system/config still no luck (the back-up files seem to be more corrupt too, actually worse as it doesn't seem to follow the numbers in Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery, so I reversed it when I couldn't save that either as I made a backup of the original registry before using regback as suggested in Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery). I tried:
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /RebuildBcd

But that didn't work.

I tried chkdsk d: /f /r with dismount (my windows files are in d: with c: as a reserve). I tried sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=d:\windows also.

Edit: Also, C: is my reserve, D: is where my files are stored
So chkdsk/f/r c: gave errors? repairable or not? So disk is failing (or memory, or motherboard)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2012   #8
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bluedino View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Perform from Elevated Command Prompt
Code:
 
chkdsk/f/r  C:
It says something like "system cannot lock drive C. Do you want it to be performed on restart?" Say Y and reboot. It takes many hours to complete!
I have done that the first three times the registry corrupted, but it never solves the problem. It always end with a log error 50 or something like that. I followed Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot and I've tried repairing it using System Recovery Options and Startup Repair 3 times but they didn't work. I've tried to copy the files from windows32/system/config/regback to windows32/system/config still no luck (the back-up files seem to be more corrupt too, actually worse as it doesn't seem to follow the numbers in Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery, so I reversed it when I couldn't save that either as I made a backup of the original registry before using regback as suggested in Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery). I tried:
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /RebuildBcd

But that didn't work.

I tried chkdsk d: /f /r with dismount (my windows files are in d: with c: as a reserve). I tried sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=d:\windows also.

Edit: Also, C: is my reserve, D: is where my files are stored
fixmbr and fixboot aren't needed! They reset to mbr and bootsector, not registry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2012   #9
bluedino

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1-U 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bluedino View Post
Do I need to have my Security ID (SID) resetted just for a hard drive change? Can I just:
  1. Shut down the computer, dismount the HD and mount the new one
  2. Boot from Windows 7 installation DVD, choosing Repair > Restore an image
That should work... why not. As long as the new harddrive is large enough. Do you trust the backup? I mean has it been made prior to corruption?
Well it was made after the last clean reinstall and the computer booted normally several times after the backup was made. I am assuming it is trustworthy, but I am not sure, what do you think
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2012   #10
bluedino

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1-U 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bluedino View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Perform from Elevated Command Prompt
Code:
 
chkdsk/f/r  C:
It says something like "system cannot lock drive C. Do you want it to be performed on restart?" Say Y and reboot. It takes many hours to complete!
I have done that the first three times the registry corrupted, but it never solves the problem. It always end with a log error 50 or something like that. I followed Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot and I've tried repairing it using System Recovery Options and Startup Repair 3 times but they didn't work. I've tried to copy the files from windows32/system/config/regback to windows32/system/config still no luck (the back-up files seem to be more corrupt too, actually worse as it doesn't seem to follow the numbers in Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery, so I reversed it when I couldn't save that either as I made a backup of the original registry before using regback as suggested in Startup Repair Infinite Loop Recovery). I tried:
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /RebuildBcd

But that didn't work.

I tried chkdsk d: /f /r with dismount (my windows files are in d: with c: as a reserve). I tried sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=d:\windows also.

Edit: Also, C: is my reserve, D: is where my files are stored
So chkdsk/f/r c: gave errors? repairable or not? So disk is failing (or memory, or motherboard)
The exact error is:

Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Registry is corrupt Again.




Thread Tools






Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Corrupt Registry After Cleaning PC Tower
Hi all, So today I decided to clean my windows 7 pc, like I always do when my fps drops in games. This time however, I cleaned the graphics card as well as the cpu fan. After start up, two options pop up 1. startup repair 2. start windows normally both options would eventually reach an...
Backup and Restore
Corrupt registry
Hello everyone I have installed NX 6.0 with UGS Licensing, but now that I don't need them anymore I want to remove them. NX was removed completely although it took very much longer than usual, but the UGS Licensing does not have uninstall utility, in the "Programs And Features" in Control...
General Discussion
Corrupt Registry
Hi, My new work computer, running win7 is now unable to install software. I get various error msgs towards the end of installations. Usually some component or dll cannot be found. Aside from this inconvenience my system seems to be running smoothly. Our IT support guys have examined the...
BSOD Help and Support
Corrupt Registry Issue
Please Assist if possible... I have made some changes in the registry. I have added an autokillvalue key through making a notepad file and merging it. I have also enabled maximum Ram for start-up (in Msconfig). I then updated windows with about 10 normal updates and 1 optional then restarted...
BSOD Help and Support
Corrupt registry key help.
I have a problem with a corrupt registry key. This key is only a antivirus key, but I need to remove it so I can install my antivirus. The issue with the key is that its missing the (default) REG_SZ value. I've tried to use ccleaner and Registry mechanic but those didn't work. I tried to to...
General Discussion
Corrupt Registry
Evening Gents, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I was defragmenting my hard drive and when I restarted my PC it launched into Windows Startup Repair, and, bad news it could not find a problem - so I went to restore the system and all the System Restore points have been deleted (probs...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:59.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App