Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System Image backup fails - not enough space for Volume Shadow Copy

03 May 2012   #41
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Some third party caused it!! Disable USN on "system reserved"! But first uninstall that 3rd party product.
w7x64rc backup fails with error code 0x81000019


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 May 2012   #42
highstream

Win 7 Home Premium and Win XP/SP3 Home 32 bit (desktop); Win 7 x64 Home Premium (laptop)
 
 

Ok, now I get your point about the pagefile partition. So I've deleted that partition and I've got pagefile set on (not auto), which presumably means it will use the system drive.

I've been aware of issues about defragging SSDs since getting my previous one, a Corsair 60gb. With that one, I found it got slow after 2-3 months and defragging once made a big difference. Since SSDs have improved and the Plextor has a 5 yr warranty, I've got defrag on that one set to once a month.

Thanks again,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2012   #43
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Big difference... strange!!
SSD - To Defrag or not to Defrag
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 May 2012   #44
highstream

Win 7 Home Premium and Win XP/SP3 Home 32 bit (desktop); Win 7 x64 Home Premium (laptop)
 
 

I've copied here a part from that link that doesn't make logical sense to me. In the first paragraph one can infer that the author believes some defragging will be worthwhile. In the second paragraph, he says that greater fragmentation means random access more often than sequential, but that random reads are nearly 1000 time slower than sequential. From that, one would assume that greater fragmentation means slower access, hence performace. But in the third paragraph he concludes exactly the opposite: performance will be improved if a drive is more fragmented. In the fourth paragraph, however, he writes as if he said just the opposite and for reasons of wear suggests defragging but not very often. What am I missing?

---
"So, for those of you who 'ASSUME' that defragging will not improve performance, pay attention.

a sequential read at the chip level is nearly 1000 times faster than a random read. now most of the reads on these drives will be sequential, because the data is written that way, but the more fragmented the drive is the more often its going to do a random access vs a sequential access.

So, performance WILL be improved if the drive is extremely fragmented."

BUT, since you have a very finite limit on the number of write/erase cycles, I wouldn't defrag a ssd more than one time, or at the very most very very seldom. (like once a year maybe at most)."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2012   #45
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
This description of the boot process may be useful:
reflect updates
Many people decide to do away with the system reserved which is what I was referring to by "the way you want to go". In my opinion a separate System Reserved facilitates:
1) Clean multibooting
2) BitLocker encryption
3) F8 - start windows in safe mode

and I keep it.
3) F8 - start windows in safe mode => this has nothing to do with "system reserved" boot partition
1) Clean multibooting => boot partition must be an primary and active partition. OS partitions can be logical and inactive. So if you make your OS partition primary and active and put the bootmgr and bcd-menu (bootmenu) on it. It's working fine. But you can't simply delete that partition because it has the multiboot menu as well on it.

So seperating both tasks has some advantages.

2) BitLocker encryption => totally right.

Leave it the way it's now!
3)There are documented cases on this forum of F8 safe mode booting not working after and a workaround required - eg:
100 MB Partition
1) Clearly much better for multibooting.

@OP
You have assigned a 300MB partition for system reserved so you might as well use it.
Don't defrag your SSD
Here are some tweaks for SSDs. Leave your pagefile on the SSD but you can reduce it. I also disable hibernation.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1133897/w...tweaking-guide

SSD Tweaks and Optimizations in Windows 7

Added note: We have seen reported case of F8 not working after scrapping the system reserved. I can't say that is always the case. If C is active and your system reserved is not active, try F8 out and maybe it will work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2012   #46
highstream

Win 7 Home Premium and Win XP/SP3 Home 32 bit (desktop); Win 7 x64 Home Premium (laptop)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
@OP You have assigned a 300MB partition for system reserved so you might as well use it.
Someone earliersuggested >100mb works better and the difference is nominal relative to the whole drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2012   #47
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by highstream View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
@OP You have assigned a 300MB partition for system reserved so you might as well use it.
Someone earliersuggested >100mb works better and the difference is nominal relative to the whole drive.
Size is nominal going from 100MB to say 200MB or 300MB. It should always have defaulted to 200MB and why MS suddenly decided 100MB is a moot point.
The system reserved can fill up with journal files and once you have less than 40-50MB free space you cannot make an image. By making the system reserved partition bigger you should always have at least 50MB of free space.

Alternatively as I think I stated you can clear USN journal files from the system reserved partition using the "fsutil" command.

In your case with 300MB system reserved you should never have this problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2012   #48
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by highstream View Post
I've copied here a part from that link that doesn't make logical sense to me. In the first paragraph one can infer that the author believes some defragging will be worthwhile. In the second paragraph, he says that greater fragmentation means random access more often than sequential, but that random reads are nearly 1000 time slower than sequential. From that, one would assume that greater fragmentation means slower access, hence performace. But in the third paragraph he concludes exactly the opposite: performance will be improved if a drive is more fragmented. In the fourth paragraph, however, he writes as if he said just the opposite and for reasons of wear suggests defragging but not very often. What am I missing?

---
"So, for those of you who 'ASSUME' that defragging will not improve performance, pay attention.

a sequential read at the chip level is nearly 1000 times faster than a random read. now most of the reads on these drives will be sequential, because the data is written that way, but the more fragmented the drive is the more often its going to do a random access vs a sequential access.

So, performance WILL be improved if the drive is extremely fragmented."

BUT, since you have a very finite limit on the number of write/erase cycles, I wouldn't defrag a ssd more than one time, or at the very most very very seldom. (like once a year maybe at most)."
Once defragmented, all system files are sequential and stay sequential (unless you install a windows update).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 System Image backup fails - not enough space for Volume Shadow Copy




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Not enough disk space to create the volume shadow copy ...
This is an old problem on Win7 - a search of this forum showed no solutions - even though the same issue has been posted for years. This machine has made system images for about 3 months without issues - last one was yesterday. Used space on the system reserved partition was always about 32 Mb....
Backup and Restore
BSOD Using Cobain Backup, occurs when performing shadow volume copy
I have been trying to use an automated backup program for my Windows 7 Pro x64 machine and I keep running into a BSOD during the backups. I have tried using a couple of different programs and I get the error with both of them. I believe it has to do with the Shadow Volume Copy but am not sure. ...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 image backup, error not enough space for shadow copy
I am not able to make backup, I get message not enough free space for shadow copy? How do I resolve this? I understand some kind of USN journal is created on System reserved partion. This hidden partition was created when I installed and now I have only 38Mb free out of 100Mb. As I understand...
Backup and Restore
Backup Image Error / Cannot Create Shadow Copy / VSS error
I am trying to create scheduled backups for my computer on an external drive (H:\) and am having a bunch of trouble. I had one successful attempt but did not have "create image of C:\" checked. I chose to check it and attempt again. No success. I unchecked the image and now cannot create any...
Backup and Restore
Volume shadow copy necessary?
I wonder if I should use volume shadow copy on my PC. Is it necessary? Is it typical that it creates many problems?
Backup and Restore
Question about volume shadow copy
If I go into the properties of any folder or file, and then to the Restore Previous Versions tab, I have several snapshots to choose from. I thought this was a feature of the Volume Shadow Copy service ( Shadow Copy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) however, when I look at my list of...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App