Well, well, well. Turns out that I did manage to bring my machine (frankly because it was just a quick format, and only the partition table would have been lost
) back to life!!
For anyone who might end up on this post, here's what I did...
0) I booted to fedora using the live cd. Had a working internet connection and a cd burner at my disposal, this is what i really like about the live cd's !
1) After doing a few searches I found a nifty boot up disc found here: Download Hiren
at this time version 15.1 is the latest...
2) Burned the image onto a cd and booted to it. I tried to repair the startup using the Windows 7 repair disc prior to this with no avail..
3) Selected to boot to the Mini XP. Note: there were many more options during the bootup screen, but i felt more comfortable using a GUI this time..
4) Started up the 'HSCBD Menu' program. And from the programs tab on the top,
selected Programs>>Recovery>>DiskGenius 3.2.....
5) Finally, it scanned my drive and found two lost partitions, and restored them by saving the partition to the disk!!!!!
This might not even be close to the right thing to do, but this is what occurred to me and it worked!!