Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: bootable cloning

17 Jun 2012   #11
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vlsi99xx View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kado897 View Post
This is very true. You might also have mentioned that with imaging you can have as many images as your backup disk will hold.

I agree, I think cloning and imaging could be part of your overall backup strategy. You could have a clone of your sys drive and several images versions.

For data, it is more of a grey area as you need a lot space for it and you may also want incremental images copies as well.

Victor: Casper looks to be a high-priced cloning tool for encrypted hard drives.

For $50 is a high price compare to free but it is within the range of most paid products.


thanks for all the feedback
I disagree on imaging data partitions. I think a File and Folder backup is preferable. The one I use is FreeFileSync which allows you to create a mirror with versions so you only have to do a full backup the first time. FreeFileSync | Free Security & Utilities software downloads at SourceForge.net. I made a video of it if you are interested. Backup With FreeFileSync - YouTube


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Jun 2012   #12
vlsi99xx

win 7 64
 
 

[QUOTE=kado897;1967663]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vlsi99xx View Post

I disagree on imaging data partitions. I think a File and Folder backup is preferable. The one I use is FreeFileSync which allows you to create a mirror with versions so you only have to do a full backup the first time. FreeFileSync | Free Security & Utilities software downloads at SourceForge.net. I made a video of it if you are interested. Backup With FreeFileSync - YouTube
Some questions:
1- Do you have experience with large chunk of data 1Tb? (nice video by the way)
2- When you say with mirror with versions, are you able automatically select how many copies of version you want to keep?
3- Does it stop access to the disks that you are mirror from and to?
4- How do know you if a file copy fails ? (log file or some other indication, like email)
5- Any idea of the time it takes per GB of data approx ?



Would you mind sharing why imaging with incremental backups is not a good idea for data?

thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2012   #13
kado897

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Thanks
1. No my total data is about 500GB.
2. No that is something you will have to to as a manual exercise from time to time. It only creates a version if there are any changes to the folder pair.
3. No it uses VSS like Windows backup to freeze the state.
4. There is a log created with each run showing exactly what happened.
5. It depends on a number of factors like any file copy. The type of disk and the file sizes being the main determinants. I use a USB attached backup drive and most of my data is also on a USB attached drive so I have the worst of all situations. Obviously the initial backup took some time but I spread the pain around by by gradually adding folder pairs over a week. Now that it is all set up I have created a task to run the job daily and that usually takes less than a minute to run. Today it backed up 42 files, 1.0GB of data in 1 minute 21 seconds.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jun 2012   #14
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

In terms of immediately bootable then:
1) A clone requires a new HDD at the time of cloning. Therefore, immediately bootable in that sense.
2) An image + reimage to a new HDD is bootable. The reimaged HDD is immediately bootable. This is how I create a cold immediately bootable standby. I see no reason to clone.
3) Given you can store many images on an external HDD then reimaging a more recent image to a spare HDD is a better option IMO provided you have ~45 minutes to spare.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2012   #15
vlsi99xx

win 7 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
In terms of immediately bootable then:
1) A clone requires a new HDD at the time of cloning. Therefore, immediately bootable in that sense.
2) An image + reimage to a new HDD is bootable. The reimaged HDD is immediately bootable. This is how I create a cold immediately bootable standby. I see no reason to clone.
3) Given you can store many images on an external HDD then reimaging a more recent image to a spare HDD is a better option IMO provided you have ~45 minutes to spare.
Hi:

Can you explain what an image plus reimage means?
I thought an imaged HDD is in format that need a recovery CD to uncompressed the data into the new or same HDD. The cloning is basically a mirror copy of the HDD sector by sector in a format that you can browse with a file viewer with identical file structure as the original and therefore immediately bootable.

How do you create this image reimage setup? Can you do it with WINDOWS backup?

thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2012   #16
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vlsi99xx View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
In terms of immediately bootable then:
1) A clone requires a new HDD at the time of cloning. Therefore, immediately bootable in that sense.
2) An image + reimage to a new HDD is bootable. The reimaged HDD is immediately bootable. This is how I create a cold immediately bootable standby. I see no reason to clone.
3) Given you can store many images on an external HDD then reimaging a more recent image to a spare HDD is a better option IMO provided you have ~45 minutes to spare.
Hi:

Can you explain what an image plus reimage means?
I thought an imaged HDD is in format that need a recovery CD to uncompressed the data into the new or same HDD. The cloning is basically a mirror copy of the HDD sector by sector in a format that you can browse with a file viewer with identical file structure as the original and therefore immediately bootable.

How do you create this image reimage setup? Can you do it with WINDOWS backup?

thanks
I think MJF simply means make an image file and restore it.

"Image" means make the image file.

"Reimage" means restore it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Jun 2012   #17
mjf

Windows 7x64 Home Premium SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vlsi99xx View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mjf View Post
In terms of immediately bootable then:
1) A clone requires a new HDD at the time of cloning. Therefore, immediately bootable in that sense.
2) An image + reimage to a new HDD is bootable. The reimaged HDD is immediately bootable. This is how I create a cold immediately bootable standby. I see no reason to clone.
3) Given you can store many images on an external HDD then reimaging a more recent image to a spare HDD is a better option IMO provided you have ~45 minutes to spare.
Hi:

Can you explain what an image plus reimage means?
I thought an imaged HDD is in format that need a recovery CD to uncompressed the data into the new or same HDD. The cloning is basically a mirror copy of the HDD sector by sector in a format that you can browse with a file viewer with identical file structure as the original and therefore immediately bootable.

How do you create this image reimage setup? Can you do it with WINDOWS backup?

thanks
I think MJF simply means make an image file and restore it.

"Image" means make the image file.

"Reimage" means restore it.
Correct but I don't use the term "Restore" because a Windows "System Restore" is actually different and uses Restore Points and is not a (system) reimage. Maybe I shouldn't be lazy and say "system image recovery".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 bootable cloning




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Make w7 pro x64 bootable after cloning
Hi I am new to this forum so welcome everyone. I bought a Dell laptop which came with installed Windows 7 Pro but installation media is unfortunately Win 8.1... I additionally got an SSD drive and want to move the system to it. So I did several things: I changed the size of the...
Installation & Setup
Bootable backup/cloning solution
Hello forum, I am more of a Mac person but in general not completely bad with Windows, too (I own also two Windows PC's). So please forgive me if I don't speak the right Windows language ... I am trying to help a friend to create a bootable backup solution for her Windows 7 computer - she...
Backup and Restore
Make bootable ISO from bootable USB Drive
I have a USB drive with Ophcrack and a rainbow table in it. I can boot from it. I want to make an ISO from it with the table still installed. I'm trying to use it on VMware. I've tried using PowerISO by opening the files and saving them as an ISO. It wouldn't boot.
Software
cloning
Hi ok i have a few Q's First i have an old acer d150 with a 160Gig HDD, Now i want to use that hdd for something else and i want to fit an 80 Gig Hdd in it's place ( I have programs/software on the 80Gig so i will format it before i clone ) What is the easiest/most user friendly way to clone...
Backup and Restore
Software for cloning bootable USB to bootable CDROM?
I'm looking for a freeware utility that will clone a bootable USB stick with special build of Slax with an inhouse developed program to a bootable CDROM. There's plenty of information on how to go the opposite way, from bootable CDROM to bootable USB, but our company has several bootable sticks...
Software
Cloning HDD?
Can I clone my HDD(C:) to a USB HDD and boot from the external drive? I wouldn't mind keeping a mirror OS for when things go kerflooey....ahem....
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App