I've since (maybe) solved the problem, but need to be sure I'm ok.
I tried the backup again and monitored it's performance. A MSE popup occured during the backup ("threats are being cleaned no action neccessary"). I checked
the Antimalware log and found this
- I scanned with MSE \Users\Bill\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\55\60e9d0b7-3a1207a1 and it reported malware and quarantines 6 files.
- I tried backup again and it ran successfully.
- I had MSE remove the files.
- I did a full scan - and MSE found the same virus on the backup
containerfile:_W:\BILL-PC\Backup Set 2012-09-18 073444\Backup Files 2012-09-18 073444\Backup files 67.zip;file:_W:\BILL-PC\Backup Set 2012-09-18 073444\Backup Files 2012-09-18 073444\Backup files 67.zip->C\Users\Bill\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\55\60e9d0b7-3a1207a1->trphpgdtafbtttmvy/abvgpeeqytvnqrkdstkrvr.class
- I let MSE take the required action and remove them.
- I do weekly backups. MSE did not report the virus on the 25 Sept backup. Is this due to the differential nature?
- Why didn't backup get the problem when it did the 25 Sept backup? The virus would have been on my machine at that time.
- Is there anything I should do to make sure all is ok?
Thanks very much.
------ original post before editing ----->
I get the above error when using backup. I've set up the backup by ticking C: and ticking include systems image. This has been working up to now. I'm making a new thread as the solution in the previous post is not working for me.
First - a few days ago my machine had trouble with an external 2TB USB drive - two partitions W: and X: - that I use for backups. The machine took ages to see the drives and would hang while a green bar slowing progressed. Windows backup to partition W: failed with "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error (0x8007045D)" - I used
chkdsk /r W: as in microsoft Article ID: 952272. chkdsk reporting fixing some errors and marking 1 cluster bad. The machine now finds the drive again quickly so I tried the backup again now I get
I have tried the suggestion you outlined in the previous thread, and have many JUNCTIONS listed on C: which is the drive I'm trying to backup. (I have both normal and hidden system files showing), when I look at the listed folder locations some have a 'lock' icon rather than 'shortcut arrow' icon, but none have type 'mounted volume'
When I first tried the backup after repairing the partition, it ran for about 45 mins before giving the error. Even thought I could not find
any mounted volumes, I cleared 'recent files' which contained media and tried again. This time the backup stopped almost immediately with the error. I've looked at 'restore your files' and it seems that most
(maybe all) of the directories were in fact backed up. Inside WindowsImageBackup on W: is a folder Backup 2012-10-03 010629 which is the date of the what I just did.
So I'm stuck. Any suggestions? Any additional information you need?
Thanks. Cheers, Bill