Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Backing up OS from HDD to smaller SSD

27 Nov 2012   #21
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aruwin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote:
Oh my God, that's exactly what is happening now!! Why can't I startup my windows? Should I image the old HDD again with the system reserve to fix this? And by the way, the OS is now not C drive but D!!!!
When is it called D? You mean in recovery environment? A drive letter is just a drive letter and defined in registry of current running OS... probably the recovery environment now. Not a problem at all!




The problem is... all boot entries are still pointing to old HDD! Easiest thing to do:
  • Boot into recovery environment->command prompt
Code:
C:
CD \boot
attrib -h  -s  bcd
ren  bcd  bcdold
Now old bootmenu is gone (renamed). Now do a startup repair 3 times, with reboots in between.
C is system reseerved now btw. But if repaired and booted in win7... C is OS partition
I just did a reboot once with the Windows CD in and then everything went back to normal, as if I hadn't changed my hard drives. Shouldn't this be ok already?
Did you rename/delete bcd and recreate it from scratch? It looks fine now.

In Elevated Command Prompt
do
Code:
bcdedit/enum  all>bcd.txt
Now post bcd.txt
then I can see if "memory diagnostics", "recovery environment" and so in is in bcd menu.
Delete bcd.txt afertwards


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Nov 2012   #22
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Hibernation File – most of us do not use Hibernation, but Sleep instead. But, the hiberfile takes precious space on your SSD – to the same tune as the size as your RAM. To get rid of it, run the following command in elevated Command Prompt: powercfg –h off. If you ever want it back, it is powercfg – h on.

Follow this as well Disk Defragmenter - Open and Use
Press "Configure schedule"->"select disks". Don't put checkmark at C drive! Defrag an SSD is useless and shortens the SSD lifespan.

Turn system restore on (most likely already is) System Restore - Enable or Disable
and look if there are any ghost drives there. Disable (so configure->turn off) for ghost disks (if any). Turn it on for C


Be sure TRIM is on TRIM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

Is its value 0 so enabled? If not enable it
fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2012   #23
aruwin

windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Hibernation File most of us do not use Hibernation, but Sleep instead. But, the hiberfile takes precious space on your SSD to the same tune as the size as your RAM. To get rid of it, run the following command in elevated Command Prompt: powercfg h off. If you ever want it back, it is powercfg h on.

Follow this as well Disk Defragmenter - Open and Use
Press "Configure schedule"->"select disks". Don't put checkmark at C drive! Defrag an SSD is useless and shortens the SSD lifespan.

Turn system restore on (most likely already is) System Restore - Enable or Disable
and look if there are any ghost drives there. Disable (so configure->turn off) for ghost disks (if any). Turn it on for C


Be sure TRIM is on TRIM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

Is its value 0 so enabled? If not enable it
fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0
I did what you told me and there are some things that I don't understand,as you can see, there are no option for C in the disk defragment and something wrong about the space, how come there is an unallocated space? I tried to extend my C volume but the option is greyed (it's not available). I want to use all the space i don't wanna waste it. Please help me.


Attached Thumbnails
Backing up OS from HDD to smaller SSD-space.jpg  
Attached Images
Backing up OS from HDD to smaller SSD-bcd.jpg Backing up OS from HDD to smaller SSD-defrag.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Nov 2012   #24
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

SSD is most likely not in the defrag schedule list becuase it's an SDD, so defragment is useless! Is it in the main defragment window? I don't have an SSD so can't test it.

As seen on the disk management screen C drive starts ats point 100MB+14.59GB so at point 14.69GB. I think you did restore to same spot as on old HDD (most likely there was a 14GB recovery partition in front). You should have used macrium reflect rescue winpe version (not linux) and move the new partition to the right spot and make it larger. Later post will solve that.

Post output of
Code:
bcdedit/enum  all
so add /enum all so I can see more.

Do you wanna get rid of "system reserved"? So merge it with C?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2012   #25
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

In win7 disk managment partitions can only be extended to the right side (not to the left).
Install partition wizard HOME it's free. Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online
Then run it and resize C How to resize Partition for Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 or Windows XP/7/Vista with partition magic manager software? Move/Resize Partition Help. (don't apply yet)
Then align all partitions on SSD Align All Partitions ? MiniTool Partition Wizard help.
Now press APPLY
Why alignment?? It is described here SSD Alignment

The new start sector of C triggers partition wizard to modify the bootmenu and registry so it will succesfully boot afterwards.




-------
about the disk management issue not showing SSD: Click on "Disk Defragmenter". Click on "Configure Schedule" and hit "Select Disks". If all went well, Windows will realize it's on an SSD and your SSD won't even be an option in this menu. Now Windows will avoid defragmenting your SSD, which can be bad for it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2012   #26
aruwin

windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
In win7 disk managment partitions can only be extended to the right side (not to the left).
Install partition wizard HOME it's free. Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online
Then run it and resize C How to resize Partition for Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 or Windows XP/7/Vista with partition magic manager software? Move/Resize Partition Help. (don't apply yet)
Then align all partitions on SSD Align All Partitions ? MiniTool Partition Wizard help.
Now press APPLY
Why alignment?? It is described here SSD Alignment

The new start sector of C triggers partition wizard to modify the bootmenu and registry so it will succesfully boot afterwards.


.
My laptop does recognize the SSD as I ran winsat disk on the command prompt and the score is 7.9. Ok, so if I merge the C partition with the unallocated space, it won't change the system on my C or erase any files, right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2012   #27
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aruwin View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
In win7 disk managment partitions can only be extended to the right side (not to the left).
Install partition wizard HOME it's free. Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online
Then run it and resize C How to resize Partition for Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 or Windows XP/7/Vista with partition magic manager software? Move/Resize Partition Help. (don't apply yet)
Then align all partitions on SSD Align All Partitions ? MiniTool Partition Wizard help.
Now press APPLY
Why alignment?? It is described here SSD Alignment

The new start sector of C triggers partition wizard to modify the bootmenu and registry so it will succesfully boot afterwards.


.
My laptop does recognize the SSD as I ran winsat disk on the command prompt and the score is 7.9. Ok, so if I merge the C partition with the unallocated space, it won't change the system on my C or erase any files, right?
Do it. Resize and align all partitions afterwards. Then press APPLY. It reboots, does its task.. and all files are still there.

bcdedit/enum all
output please
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Nov 2012   #28
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

After the reboot the C drive is as you want. But do once again:
Turn system restore on (most likely already is) System Restore - Enable or Disable
and look if there are any ghost drives there. Disable (so configure->turn off) for ghost disks (if any). Turn it on for C
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Backing up OS from HDD to smaller SSD




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Image is smaller than it should be
If HD DVDs appear fine and sharp on TV why does it look stretched on PC? Here is an example of the same frame in Family Guy in different sizes. Here's what it looks like at 50% (Note all the images where deliberately resized to 720p from 1680x1050) As you can see, it looks sharp and clear. Now...
Media Center
printing is smaller
I designed a graphic on Paint. When I tried to print it, it came out smaller than it was when I sized it on Paint. Does anybody know why that's happening?
General Discussion
I want to clone OS to a smaller HD
Currently have a 500GB HD with the OS and my programs on it. I am only using 32GB. I want to clone the 500GB is drive to a 250 GB Drive and use the 500 GB for file storage. Would have no problem cloning to same size or larger HD but my cloning software wont clone to a smaller HD I thought...
Software
Upgrading to smaller ssd
Hi everyone, I currently have 150gb Raptor drive on Windows 7. I create an image weekly of it onto a 320gb Spinpoint (E:) that I only use for data and images. I'm considering upgrading my Raptor to a 128GB SSD. Being that my current drive is bigger, would I be able to connect the smaller SSD...
Hardware & Devices
Make .exe files smaller.( a lot smaller)
Hi all... I made a app in vb 2010 but when i saved it it was 15mb...Anyway i can make that smaller..I made it 1.mb smaller using winrar..Any other way to make it half the size or less???? Thanks
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App