I implemented both scripts mentioned above and set them up with the task scheduler. they're running as scheduled, but for some reason the incremental backup seems to be backing up a lot more than it should be.
for example, after installing the full backup script, I ran the script itself to grab a full backup of the following locations: my libraries and my user folder.
when the script ran the full backup, it was 2.36gb
I then installed the incremental script and ran it which produced a backup of 184kb.
after that, I set up the scheduler. on Sunday at 9pm it ran an incremental backup and picked up 284mb worth of data and ran again at 9pm tonight and picked up an additional 287mb of data. I'm not sure how as I haven't really done much on my pc these last few days....