Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: System restore not working. (0x80042308) not found??

29 Apr 2013   #1
artkid101

Windows 7 home
 
 
System restore not working. (0x80042308) not found??

My system restore on windows 7 is not working. I have tried everything from attempting to open it in safe mode to increasing the memory used by system restore. I keep getting the message that there are no restore points on my system. When I attempt to create new ones this is the message I get:

"The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The specified object could not be found. (0x80042308) Please try again."

What can I do to fix this issue?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Apr 2013   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Apparently there is a problem with your VSS (or operator error). System restore is very, very unreliable, even in the best of days. I highly recommend to make images instead - but not with Windows imaging. That is just as phony. Use this: Imaging with free Macrium
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2013   #3
Marshalhubs

Windows 7
 
 

Hi,

I will provide all the necessary steps to detect and resolve the problem.
  • You should run basic tests such as disk check (chkdsk /f /r /v with a command prompt).
  • Run sfc /scannow. It is possible both of these won't provide a negative result. In that case, jump to next steps.
  • Make sure no third party backup software is preventing the process. Could be a driver installed by a third party software.
  • Note that you can run vssadmin list writers command and check the status of writers.
  • This could be a problem with reparse points. Reparse points pointing to wrong locations. To avoid issues, remove any fat partitions (DIR /AL /S command lists junctions with folders).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Apr 2013   #4
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by artkid101 View Post
My system restore on windows 7 is not working. I have tried everything from attempting to open it in safe mode to increasing the memory used by system restore. I keep getting the message that there are no restore points on my system. When I attempt to create new ones this is the message I get:

"The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The specified object could not be found. (0x80042308) Please try again."

What can I do to fix this issue?
#1 You see same message in eventlog?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2013   #5
artkid101

Windows 7 home
 
 

@Marshalhubs: I will try going down the list that you provided. Honestly I'm not very tech savvy so I'll have to figure out everything on the list and try it. My system restore has been like this for quite some time and I kinda gave up on it for a while but I really want to fix it. I havent come across a good solution so far.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2013   #6
artkid101

Windows 7 home
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by artkid101 View Post
My system restore on windows 7 is not working. I have tried everything from attempting to open it in safe mode to increasing the memory used by system restore. I keep getting the message that there are no restore points on my system. When I attempt to create new ones this is the message I get:

"The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The specified object could not be found. (0x80042308) Please try again."

What can I do to fix this issue?
#1 You see same message in eventlog?
Not sure what event log is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2013   #7
Marshalhubs

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by artkid101 View Post
@Marshalhubs: I will try going down the list that you provided. Honestly I'm not very tech savvy so I'll have to figure out everything on the list and try it. My system restore has been like this for quite some time and I kinda gave up on it for a while but I really want to fix it. I havent come across a good solution so far.
Hi,

Problem and solution discussed over here : Unable to perform system restore, error 0x80042308 - Microsoft Community

I hope that it will help you to solve your issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 System restore not working. (0x80042308) not found??




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
System Working fine but reboots to system restore
Hello, I will try to explain this as best as I can so if you need any more information please ask and I will gladly answer. If this is in the wrong forum I apologize. If it is please redirect me and I will post it there. I have built 11 computers, all containing the EXACT same hardware and...
Installation & Setup
Restore point could not be created because of error 0x80042308
This all started when I uninstalled all the AMD drivers on my system and then restarted the computer to reinstall updated drivers (chipset and video). When I restarted it said it found problems with my harddrive and did a system restore. When that was done everything was back to the way it was...
Backup and Restore
System restore image not working/cannot be found?
So way back when I installed windows on my SSD I made a system image restore doohickey, using the "Create A System Image" tool, once I had applied all the necessary settings, installed drivers, etc. Now, windows is experiencing problems and I wish to restore to this back up. How on earth do I do...
Backup and Restore
System restore not working
I cannot use system restore i get message .There was a unexpected error in the property page,The volume shadow copy service used by system restore is not working event log 0x81000202 When I try to start volume shadow copy service in services i get message.windows could not start the volume shadow...
Backup and Restore
System Restore not working
Hello friends, I have win xp in my C drive and win 7 in my D drive. Now I want to enable System Restore in my C drive. So when I go to My Computer in C drive, right click it, select Properties and Click on the System Restore tab, it shows that it's turned off for all my drives. So I uncheck the...
Backup and Restore
Backup and restore (Not System Restore) Not Working
When I try to back up and restore (my files) it does not complete. I get the message disk full. I tried to uncheck the (shut off and delte all files from system restore) but that does not help. When I check the amount of space available on the D drive, it shows as full, but system restore seems to...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App