So I've really made a mess of my laptop, it seems. Problem
- Laptop is basically on it's last legs. Has been running hot, slow and loud. I just need the data off of it and can wipe the whole thing. It's an HP Pavilion DV6
- Since the main problems started (not being able to load windows), it has been restarted several times (by my pressing the on/off button) while system repair or other things are running. I know, my bad.
- It has attempted to check the disk twice with lots of "...file(sector?) is unreadable"
- This last time, it finished disk check, restarted itself and then went to repair mode
- It's been like that all night, granted it took several hours to do disk check
- I am assuming the hard drive has been compromised Possible Solutions?
1. Should I let it system repair run it's course, even if it's a few days?
- I am not able to boot in safe mode or last good configuration
- It is an authentic Windows 7, but I am unable to locate my disks now (it's been 5 years)
2. I know there is another drive on my computer to restore, I believe but have no idea how to access it. Tried going to BIOS but the option for that drive is unavailable
- Since I just want the data, I know that there is a way to connect my not-working properly hard drive to a working one (although I'm a little nervous about how to do that)
- Hubby has a cross-cable and we tried, but it came up on the working computer in explorer, but we were not able to access anything. It said something about having to make the networks the same etc. My old comp is not loading so I can't get to a network screen on it
- If I decide to buy a kit to access the old hard drive via USB or something like that, is it safe for my data to be pulling the hard drive out of the laptop just like that?
Any other ideas? I really just need pictures of my kids from the computer. I did a back up to an external drive, but now it doesn't show on that drive even though it said it was transferred (when it was working)....urgh!
Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any help you can provide me...