Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 'The Network Location Cannot Be Reached' Error restoring image


15 Jan 2014   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
'The Network Location Cannot Be Reached' Error restoring image

I get this error when trying to restore my windows 7 from a network location. i have full access to this folder in explorer. when i try to restore from the image, after entering my username/password, i manually enter the network location: HTPC\\h\SystemImageBackup.(windows frustratingly doesn't provide a browse to location option). Then i get this error that the network location can't be reached. i'm dumbfounded. any help would be appreciated.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jan 2014   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I suggest you copy the image VHD with Explorer and then do this:

System Image - Recover a Broken Windows 7 System Image
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2014   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I appreciate the help, but it seems absurd that windows is unable to restore an image from a location that it created! i will copy the folder to an external usb drive and try that way first, thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Jan 2014   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Windows imaging has a lot of problems. This is only one of them. If you want easy, reliable and fast imaging, use free Macrium.

Imaging with free Macrium
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2014   #5

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
I get this error when trying to restore my windows 7 from a network location. i have full access to this folder in explorer. when i try to restore from the image, after entering my username/password, i manually enter the network location: HTPC\\h\SystemImageBackup.(windows frustratingly doesn't provide a browse to location option). Then i get this error that the network location can't be reached. i'm dumbfounded. any help would be appreciated.
First, if the system image was created with Windows Backup imaging tool, the folder name is WindowsImageBackup, not SystemImageBackup.

Second, if the highlighted part in your post is how you enter the network path to your image folder, it's wrong. The syntax is:
Code:
\\Computer_name\Share_name
Two backslashes at the beginning, not after the computer name.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2014   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

yes, i made sure all that info was correct but it didnt fix the problem. why cant windows recover an image from a network location?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2014   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Windows imaging has a lot of problems. This is only one of them. If you want easy, reliable and fast imaging, use free Macrium.

Imaging with free Macrium
will macrium restore windows from the image i already have saved on my network drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2014   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Windows imaging has a lot of problems. This is only one of them. If you want easy, reliable and fast imaging, use free Macrium.

Imaging with free Macrium
will macrium restore windows from the image i already have saved on my network drive?
If it is a VHD, you can try this: System Image - Recover a Broken Windows 7 System Image
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2014   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

i installed macrium and created the image but am clueless as to how to restore the image. i downloaded the winPE 5.2.iso. do i have to burn this to a disc now or can i mount it and run it that way?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2014   #10
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Restoring is really easy. Check this video tutorial that Keith has made (no narration, only text).

Macrium Reflect - Restore With WinRE - YouTube

Note: RE = PE
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 'The Network Location Cannot Be Reached' Error restoring image




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: 'The Network Location Cannot Be Reached' Error restoring image
Thread Forum
Image Restore from Network Location Backup and Restore
Network location cannot be reached when attempting to join domain Network & Sharing
Network Location Cannot be Reached Backup and Restore
Domain Change - The network location cannot be reached. Network & Sharing
restoring image to a different created location Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33