Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problem restoring image of an old HD to new SSD using Macrium Reflect

28 Jan 2014   #11
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Boot with original Windows 7 DVD. Select "repair your computer". After repair fails, click : "View diagostics details". Which test has status code not equal to 0x0 (which means success)?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Jan 2014   #12
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anne1982 View Post
an image restore
Answer #8
Sure the SSD partition is a primary partition and marked ACTIVE?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2014   #13
anne1982

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anne1982 View Post
an image restore
Answer #8
Sure the SSD partition is a primary partition and marked ACTIVE?

Yes, I am Sure the SSD partition is a primary partition and marked ACTIVE.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Jan 2014   #14
anne1982

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Boot with original Windows 7 DVD. Select "repair your computer". After repair fails, click : "View diagostics details". Which test has status code not equal to 0x0 (which means success)?
Yes, I did it but what further? what can I do with the codes?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2014   #15
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anne1982 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anne1982 View Post
an image restore
Answer #8
Sure the SSD partition is a primary partition and marked ACTIVE?

Yes, I am Sure the SSD partition is a primary partition and marked ACTIVE.
Boot with win7 install dvd and enter command prompt Command Prompt at Startup

Code:
DIR C:\
DIR D:\
C: is the SSD? If sure:
Code:
attrib  -h  -s  c:\boot\bcd
del c:\boot\bcd
Command succesful? If so reboot to dvd and do a startup repair.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2014   #16
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anne1982 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Boot with original Windows 7 DVD. Select "repair your computer". After repair fails, click : "View diagnostics details". Which test has status code not equal to 0x0 (which means success)?
Yes, I did it but what further? what can I do with the codes?
Normally it does some tests that ares succesfully so end in 0x0. Then a test fails ... it tries to repair. If repair fails... it stops.


So.... Which test has status code not equal to 0x0? And what is the statuscode?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2014   #17
anne1982

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thank you for the information. Tomorrow I am going to follow the procedure you mentioned and let you know the results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2014   #18
GeneO

Windows 10 Pro. EFI boot partition, full EFI boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anne1982 View Post
Hi,

My old HD had a partition which contains all the C: drive i.e. O.S., my documents, Downloads etc…

The whole C drive has one partition (BTW the physical drive is 1 TB which is divided into 2 partition ( C of about 450 GB and D of about 500 GB).
The size of the Macrium image on the external HD is 44 GB
The size of the (New SSD is Samsung 840 pro 240 GB)
I tried to copy the whole partition of the old HD into the SSD but I couldn’t. I got error message from Macrium that the original (source) partition is larger that the target. Of course this is logic. But I could drag the partition into the SSD.
Then get the message :
Restore completed Successfully

When restart the PC got the following message:

Windows 7 can not be started, this maybe caused by changing hardware.
Then get the message:

Do you like to run startup recovery?

When I click on Yes the PC will run for few minutes then get the following message:

This computer can not b recovered!

End

By using the original Windows 7 DVD I get the two following options:

  • repair the PC which will lead exactly to the abovementioned result: The PC can not be recovered
  • New (clean) installations which was successful but then I lost all my personal installations and must reinstall all programs which will cost lots of time.
Thanks & regards,


Anne

Don't know what you mean by dragging the partition - isn't such a thing.

You cannot resotre an image you made of a larger partition to an SSD that is smaller than that partition. What you first have to do is shrink the original partition down to a size that is smaller than the SSD, then back it up then restore it. This can be a painful and tedious process.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2014   #19
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by anne1982 View Post
Hi,

My old HD had a partition which contains all the C: drive i.e. O.S., my documents, Downloads etc…

The whole C drive has one partition (BTW the physical drive is 1 TB which is divided into 2 partition ( C of about 450 GB and D of about 500 GB).
The size of the Macrium image on the external HD is 44 GB
The size of the (New SSD is Samsung 840 pro 240 GB)
I tried to copy the whole partition of the old HD into the SSD but I couldn’t. I got error message from Macrium that the original (source) partition is larger that the target. Of course this is logic. But I could drag the partition into the SSD.
Then get the message :
Restore completed Successfully

When restart the PC got the following message:

Windows 7 can not be started, this maybe caused by changing hardware.
Then get the message:

Do you like to run startup recovery?

When I click on Yes the PC will run for few minutes then get the following message:

This computer can not b recovered!

End

By using the original Windows 7 DVD I get the two following options:

  • repair the PC which will lead exactly to the abovementioned result: The PC can not be recovered
  • New (clean) installations which was successful but then I lost all my personal installations and must reinstall all programs which will cost lots of time.
Thanks & regards,


Anne

Don't know what you mean by dragging the partition - isn't such a thing.

You cannot resotre an image you made of a larger partition to an SSD that is smaller than that partition. What you first have to do is shrink the original partition down to a size that is smaller than the SSD, then back it up then restore it. This can be a painful and tedious process.
He did backup/restore with Macrium Reflect. It can drag and drop and restore to smaller partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jan 2014   #20
anne1982

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Kaktussoft, I think you mean SHE! Right?

I am not sure but I think GeneO is right, at least logically! How is it possible to restore an image of a larger partition to an SSD that is smaller than that partition?

The important question is: How to solve this problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problem restoring image of an old HD to new SSD using Macrium Reflect




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Macrium Reflect'sdisk image file size
Why are the disk image files created by Macrium Reflect so small? Mine is 11.7G and the hard disk size is 23.4G and when I made the disk image Reflect was set to medium compression.
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect...Burn image and then changing disk partition
I've just created an image of the files from my C: drive, which are on a 1Tb drive. What I'd now like to do is shrink the volume down, into two drives. Do I need to recreate the image, as I've changed it from the original when Reflect was run? If I don't, will a restore get rid of the secondary...
Backup and Restore
Problem restoring Macrium image, please help!
Hello all, Few months ago, I made an image with Macrium Rescue for my whole C HD. Yesterday I decide to restore that image because the computer starts showing some problems (slow starting on reboot etc…). I used Macrium Rescue CD – V2.1.3775 (Linux 26) which I made during the backup. The CD...
Backup and Restore
Will Macrium Reflect image Linux Mint as well as Windows 7?
Macrium Reflect Backup and Hard Disk Imaging for Windows 7, Vista, XP and Server 2003/2008 I just installed Linux Mint as a duel boot and I would like to know if I can use Macrium Reflect to create an image for the entire thing. Is that possible? :geek: by entire thing I mean I want to be...
Software
Restoring Macrium Reflect
A week or so ago I was getting an error when trying to create a System Restore point. I tried a couple things and it didn't help. It then hit me that I will just do an image restore from Macrium. I had never done a restore before, but I have been faithfully backing up my docs everyday and my OS...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect not reading image file from DVD-RW
Hey there, I'm to restore my system partition. I have it's image saved on two DVD-RWs. The problem as stated in the title, it's not reading the image file in disc 1, disc 2 is ok. I deleted catalyst driver which on the disc 1. Could that be the problem? I mean did the deletion of that file...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:57.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App